The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Dropping out of uni

So, I have gone uni, just finished first semester and going into the second. I want to drop out, but I don't know when.

I understand that by dropping out mid semester will result in me having to pay back what will be considered "overpayment" therefore I want to know when is best to drop out.

I don't mind sticking out the full first year before dropping out.

What happens if I don't reapply for student finance? And don't re-enroll at uni for second year?

Please help as I am very confused.
Original post by Rafi883
So, I have gone uni, just finished first semester and going into the second. I want to drop out, but I don't know when.

I understand that by dropping out mid semester will result in me having to pay back what will be considered "overpayment" therefore I want to know when is best to drop out.

I don't mind sticking out the full first year before dropping out.

What happens if I don't reapply for student finance? And don't re-enroll at uni for second year?

Please help as I am very confused.

If you don't have any other way to support yourself financially (or in terms of accommodation) and you think you can finish the year then I would recommend doing that. If you can pass the year then you'll normally be eligible for an early exit award (a Certificate of Higher Education/CertHE which is equivalent to an HNC). So not only do you give yourself the time and funding to come up with a plan for what to do next you will have something to show for the year. A CertHE is a pass/fail award so you just need to pass your modules with a passing grade to get it.

The careers office at Aston should be able to help you come up with some ideas for what to do next and what the first steps to do that would be.

Speak to your faculty/school/student records office and ask about suspending your studies for a year - that's usually straightforward and you can change your mind and decide not to return but it also leaves the option open to come back if you realise that dropping out wasn't the right choice.

If you don't apply for funding for the 2019/20 academic year then SFE wont pay anything. Applications open in March/April next year so simply don't apply (or ring up and notify them that you're taking a year out).

Do you have any ideas about what you would like to do instead?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest