The Student Room Group

Should I drop FM while I still can before its too late?

A2 preparation/semester has just started. I have been struggling with FM for the whole AS year now getting test grades of C an D. My forecast is A*A*AB for FM. Should I drop the subject and take 3 instead ? But since Im heading towards Mechanical engineering course Im afraid not having FM would put me at a disadvantage when applying to unis like Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton and Imperial. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronaldpatrick
A2 preparation/semester has just started. I have been struggling with FM for the whole AS year now getting test grades of C an D. My forecast is A*A*AB for FM. Should I drop the subject and take 3 instead ? But since Im heading towards Mechanical engineering course Im afraid not having FM would put me at a disadvantage when applying to unis like Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton and Imperial. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance !

Drop it. Most Uni's do not ask for FM as a requirement and it doesn't look like you're going to do well in FM anyways
Reply 2
Would it be possible to switch to AS further maths only? That way you would have the rest of this year to revise the content you've already done and it would still help you out when you start your degree.
hey Sinnoh, FM is only examinated at A2 , no exams for AS level. Correct me if I'm wrong but all my peers do the norm of taking A2 FM? Plus, is there such a thing as AS FM, never heard of it before !
oops question mark seems out of place !
hey Sinnoh, FM is only examinated at A2 , no exams for AS level. Correct me if I'm wrong but all my peers do the norm of taking A2 FM? Plus, is there such a thing as AS FM, never heard of it before !

yes you can do AS further maths. its a qualifcation until you take A2, and it then becomes null. if you dont do A2 though, you have an AS qualifcation
alright Gent2324 thanks for the clarification, but is it really worth the effort to worry about an extra subject that not only is time consuming but half qualified (AS level) or should I jist take the 3 subs and hope for the best with them?
alright Gent2324 thanks for the clarification, but is it really worth the effort to worry about an extra subject that not only is time consuming but half qualified (AS level) or should I jist take the 3 subs and hope for the best with them?

assuming you are in year 13, if youve covered all the AS content and you know it reasonably well, you might aswell take the exam and get a C or whatever. but if you are seriously struggling with it its not worth going out of your way to revise it, in which case i would suggest dropping it.
Reply 8

There's definitely the option of taking AS exams, but they're a separate qualification to the A-level. Are you still taking the modular A-levels or are they linear?
Im taking the linear one . Is there such thing as AS FM for even the linear examination type?
Im taking the linear one . Is there such thing as AS FM for even the linear examination type?

There is and you can take it.
All a levels for maths have reformed post 2017
ahh I see thanks for the info. For now, I'm at peace with my decision of dropping FM but thanks anyway after all from what I saw from other forums 3 good grades are better than 4 dodgy ones so I guess I have some dropping to do !
Reply 13
ahh I see thanks for the info. For now, I'm at peace with my decision of dropping FM but thanks anyway after all from what I saw from other forums 3 good grades are better than 4 dodgy ones so I guess I have some dropping to do !

Hi, mind me asking what your other subjects are?
the normal combo of Pure maths, Physics and chemi and FM
Reply 15
the normal combo of Pure maths, Physics and chemi and FM

Oh I see, and now you’re just doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
Yes that is when I drop my FM
Reply 17
Yes that is when I drop my FM

Good decision, you’d rather focus on the other 3. Are you predicted A* in Physics and Chemistry? Then an A in Maths?
I am assuming you have maths and physics as well as one other subject (not including FM)
You don't need FM unless the uni requires it.
It would help, but as you are struggling you need to think about dropping it as it may jeopardize other exams.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Black Water
Good decision, you’d rather focus on the other 3. Are you predicted A* in Physics and Chemistry? Then an A in Maths?

nope, my Chemistry was forecasted an A

Quick Reply

Latest