The Student Room Group

Taking antibiotics on birth control?

I have started taking doxycycline and have read that it can affect your birth control. I am on the combined pill and am wondering how long I will have to use a back up method. Will it be just the 7 days while taking the antibiotics or will it have to be a following 7 days after?
Reply 1
This is not the place to ask for medical advice like that. Ask your GP
Reply 2
I'd use a back up until your next period is due. That way if you have ovulated, there's no chance of conception.
This should really have been discussed with your GP, as you can get antibiotics that don't interact at all. If it's possible, can you phone and ask? Or go and see a pharmacist at least? I would personally - if I couldn't get any accurate information - wait until after my period as if I was starting the pill again, so usually you have to take it for 7 days after your period before you're protected (with mine, anyway) so whatever it is for yours, that's how long I'd wait, unless you can find out different from your GP.
Presumably you had to see a doctor to get a prescription for antibiotics in the first place, why didnt you ask your GP then?

Moved to Health
Reply 5
Original post by Lanony
I have started taking doxycycline and have read that it can affect your birth control. I am on the combined pill and am wondering how long I will have to use a back up method. Will it be just the 7 days while taking the antibiotics or will it have to be a following 7 days after?

Check with pharmacy. I would expect it will be at least a day after you've stopped to make sure a full lot of contraceptive gets in your system, but it will depend on how long the antibiotic sticks around and has an effect for. A pharmacist will be able to check for you though so best to just phone them. You won't be done with the antibiotics till after Xmas anyway so no problem waiting if pharmacies around you are closed over Xmas. The leaflet may also say so be sure to check that.

Hope that helps and that you recover soon too. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lanony

Please consult your GP!
Other than rifampacin there is no interaction. The old advice to use additional contraception is outated and unessasary. You don't need to take additional precautions.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/antibiotics-contraception/

https://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-birth-control.html

Quick Reply

Latest