The Student Room Group

Urgent help pls

Im in Y12 right now. Im going abroad for 2 weeks in the end of March for my sisters wedding. That means I'm going to have to miss two weeks worth of A level work just before the easter holidays. I do maths, bio and chem so its pretty hard to catchup. Im contemplating whether i should just cancel my ticket because i don't want to be behind however i have bought clothes etc and its going to be a big loss of money. My friends are saying i should go but ask the teachers for help before and that theyll send me work etc.
What would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Start the work beforehand, maybe in the February half term, or bring some of the work with you. Two weeks is a long time, surely there'll be some times where you're not really doing anything and can get a bit of work done. It'll lessen the load for when you go back at least.
Reply 2
Original post by velvethopes
Start the work beforehand, maybe in the February half term, or bring some of the work with you. Two weeks is a long time, surely there'll be some times where you're not really doing anything and can get a bit of work done. It'll lessen the load for when you go back at least.

They post each lesson on the school website so I guess i could catchup but Maths is quite tricky at times. Also they might not allow me to go because they think it will impact my results
Original post by Anonymous
They post each lesson on the school website so I guess i could catchup but Maths is quite tricky at times. Also they might not allow me to go because they think it will impact my results

You will not get permission for a two week absence - why is your sister asking you to be off school for so long? They could have chosen the summer or a holiday time.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You will not get permission for a two week absence - why is your sister asking you to be off school for so long? They could have chosen the summer or a holiday time.

True but they havent and thats the problem

Yes but i just dont want to be at a disadvantage for the end of year tests and its stressful because i dont want to upset my sister either
True but they havent and thats the problem

Yes but i just dont want to be at a disadvantage for the end of year tests and its stressful because i dont want to upset my sister either

Easter is later so the holiday starts in April - have you asked for permission? I cannot see that a wedding is a good enough reason for this much time off.
Reply 6
Ok thank you. That was really helpful, I will definetely get the work and catchup.
The absence will be regarded as 'unauthorised' - not very sensible in Year 12.
Reply 8
The absence will be regarded as 'unauthorised' - not very sensible in Year 12.

The attendance thing isnt an issue, its more the content and work
The attendance thing isnt an issue, its more the content and work

Really? My school would not be inclined to support giving you work for unauthorised absence.
Really? My school would not be inclined to support giving you work for unauthorised absence.

My school is very motivated for all the students to do well regardless
My school is very motivated for all the students to do well regardless

I very much doubt it will go down well - is it a Private school?
You are clearly not working in a school ... two weeks is a massive amount of unauthorised absence and given the closeness of the Easter break it is foolish. The family should have looked at this - that's what mine did to make sure everyone could attend. You CHOOSE the date of a wedding ...
Lol
If it is really that important the the family have messed up - Year 12 is the worst time to miss - mocks will be along soon after this then predicted grades. In my experiences this sort of absence has made a massive impact on the student involved ...
Thank you so much. I was stressing about this over the last few weeks and you really helped me out. I really appreciate it.
I taught myself maths all by myself cos the teachers were crap.
Don't be a pussy.
Im in Y12 right now. Im going abroad for 2 weeks in the end of March for my sisters wedding. That means I'm going to have to miss two weeks worth of A level work just before the easter holidays. I do maths, bio and chem so its pretty hard to catchup. Im contemplating whether i should just cancel my ticket because i don't want to be behind however i have bought clothes etc and its going to be a big loss of money. My friends are saying i should go but ask the teachers for help before and that theyll send me work etc.
What would you do?

I've taken 2 weeks out of Year 13m if I can catch up so can you. Don't cancel a bloody holiday.
Well I've seen it happen far too often ...I didn't say they'd fail but they might not get the predictions they need. 10 days is several chapters/topics.
Reply 19
Can you stay less than 2 weeks? Like a week at most or 4/5 days...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending