This discussion is closed.
Mckailer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Been thinking of studying medicine abroad (in English) for a while now, however, the Uni fees are a major deterrent. So does anyone know of any cheap medical schools to study abroad - Europe would be preferred - the cheapest yearly fees I have seen so far are £2370.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Been thinking of studying medicine abroad (in English) for a while now, however, the Uni fees are a major deterrent. So does anyone know of any cheap medical schools to study abroad - Europe would be preferred - the cheapest yearly fees I have seen so far are £2370.
You can't just look at fees to decide where to study. I think there will be universities that are cheap (on paper) but they may have lots of extras that you have to pay in addition to the headline tuition fees.

Furthermore, what if the quality of teaching is poor? Or that the medical school is not well recognised? Remember - the low prices are there for a reason. In the UK, training a doctor costs around £200,000 (ballpark figure) and the government pays for most of that, the students pay ~ £9,000 per year.

It's probably best to go with the ones that the students from the UK are familiar with (probably relatively more expensive). Can you not get a student loan to study in the UK?
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Mckailer
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
You can't just look at fees to decide where to study. I think there will be universities that are cheap (on paper) but they may have lots of extras that you have to pay in addition to the headline tuition fees.

Furthermore, what if the quality of teaching is poor? Or that the medical school is not well recognised? Remember - the low prices are there for a reason. In the UK, training a doctor costs around £200,000 (ballpark figure) and the government pays for most of that, the students pay ~ £9,000 per year.

It's probably best to go with the ones that the students from the UK are familiar with (probably relatively more expensive). Can you not get a student loan to study in the UK?
Thanks for the reply.
I'm a UK student, however, I do not meet the conventional UK medical school entry requirements so my only options are applying to Gateway medicine, a transfer pathway to medicine, or graduate. All which are extremely competitive and have limited places.
Whereas studying abroad in Europe seems to be easier to get into. I have been looking at well-known agencies, such as, SME which are advertising the £2730 tuition fees.
There is also no funding available for students wanting to study medicine abroad full-time and I am by no means rich. So cheap tuition fees are the only way to go in terms of studying abroad. But yeah you are right the quality of teaching is important too.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Remember Brexit is likely to throw a spanner in the works too. There is no guarantee at the moment whether European (= EU) med graduates will be able to work in the UK without taking an exam.

If you are purely looking at it from a fees point of view, the non-EU unis are likely to be even cheaper but (1) they may not teach in English, (2) the quality is likely to be poor and (3) you will definitely have to do the UKMLA after graduation to work in the UK as a doctor.

Why not try for medicine with foundation year - you mentioned that it is competitive but people do go for it (I suppose that's why it's competitive!). That's probably the best way forward. Obviously it will be more expensive than £2700-odd but it's a UK degree.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Remember Brexit is likely to throw a spanner in the works too. There is no guarantee at the moment whether European (= EU) med graduates will be able to work in the UK without taking an exam.

If you are purely looking at it from a fees point of view, the non-EU unis are likely to be even cheaper but (1) they may not teaching English, (2) the quality is likely to be poor and (3) you will definitely have to do the UKMLA after graduation to work in the UK as a doctor.

Why not try for medicine with foundation year - you mentioned that it is competitive but people do go for it (I suppose that's why it's competitive!). That's probably the best way forward. Obviously it will be more expensive than £2700-odd but it's a UK degree.
Yeah, I agree with you, my plan is to apply to foundation years/gateways and if unsuccessful either take a gap year or apply to study abroad, but I still have a year to decide so there's no rush luckily. Thanks for all your help.
Sabah123med
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

If you are purely looking at it from a fees point of view, the non-EU unis are likely to be even cheaper but (1) they may not teach in English, (2) the quality is likely to be poor and (3) you will definitely have to do the UKMLA after graduation to work in the UK as a doctor.

Hi, I currently in my last year of Med school- studying at a non Eu university, in Ukraine. There’s been an influx of students this year from the UK due to Brexit and the introduction to the UKMLA by the GMC. I would recommend Ukraine as it is the cheapest and has good quality education. If you have any questions you can let me know, I’d be happy to answer.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sabah123med)
Hi, I currently in my last year of Med school- studying at a non Eu university, in Ukraine. There’s been an influx of students this year from the UK due to Brexit and the introduction to the UKMLA by the GMC. I would recommend Ukraine as it is the cheapest and has good quality education. If you have any questions you can let me know, I’d be happy to answer.
You have definitely tagged the wrong person because I am not a medical student :laugh:

Btw, this thread is locked I think the OP has received all the help they need.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads