The Student Room Group

Volunteering - AMA

I do a lot of volunteering and have won awards for my voluntary service in the UK.
Am happy to answer any questions you have about volunteering in general. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
You sound like a very fun person :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheImpossibleOne
I do a lot of volunteering and have won awards for my voluntary service in the UK.
Am happy to answer any questions you have about it. :smile:

Name a few places that you currently volunteer for and describe yourself in 3 words. :smile:
Original post by normanofkent
You sound like a very fun person :smile:

You're too kind.. it is 'fun' to dedicate time to various causes and help change lives for the better.
If you have any genuine questions please feel free to ask. :smile:
congrats! what award did you win?
You're too kind.. it is 'fun' to dedicate time to various causes and help change lives for the better.
If you have any genuine questions please feel free to ask. :smile:

The reality with the charity industry is 9x/10 voluntary retail work in particular does little for the advertised cause and by no means ‘changes lives’ rather helps stabilise cash flow for the executives - I would know this as I have family who serve as charity board directors.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Name a few places that you currently volunteer for and describe yourself in 3 words. :smile:

The NSPCC, Childline, National Children's Bureau, #iWill, First News, and I have worked with numerous other charities on various campaigns. :smile:

As for three words to describe myself, I would say that I am motivated, reliable, and passionate, as I love the work I do for these charities.
Original post by cytoplasm
congrats! what award did you win?

Thank you! I won the Outstanding Young Volunteer of the Year for a region of the UK, and I was nationally recognised by the Prime Minister with a POL award for services to volunteering. :smile:
The NSPCC, Childline, National Children's Bureau, #iWill, First News, and I have worked with numerous other charities on various campaigns. :smile:

As for three words to describe myself, I would say that I am motivated, reliable, and passionate, as I love the work I do for these charities.

What got you started to do volunteering? I'm a volunteer Scout Leader and I find that very fulfilling. What volunteering opportunities are in high demand at the moment? Would like to take on another charity.

Also do you bulk up your CV with all of your volunteering experience? How do you compress it all within 1/2 a page?
Original post by normanofkent
The reality with the charity industry is 9x/10 voluntary retail work in particular does little for the advertised cause and by no means ‘changes lives’ rather helps stabilise cash flow for the executives - I would know this as I have family who serve as charity board directors.

Thank you for your opinion.

Personally, I disagree with this. Without the presence of volunteers, charities would not be able to function; even large-scale ones could not function without volunteers. Campaigns passed through Parliament, for example, are usually begun by charities as a way of making a difference in an aspect of society. Without charities or volunteers, there would be worse provisions for mental health, homelessness, crime, and much more.

Then there are digital campaigns, such as #StopSpeakSupport, which encourages young people to put an end to bullying online. If young people are the new generation of adults, and they are being raised in a more positive society, this is going to be bestowed to the next generation - and the next generation - and so on.

Everyone, from the big charity board directors, to the part-time volunteers in a charity shop, all do their bit to make a difference in society. All of this together ultimately changes people's lives. :smile:
Thank you for your opinion.

Personally, I disagree with this. Without the presence of volunteers, charities would not be able to function; even large-scale ones could not function without volunteers. Campaigns passed through Parliament, for example, are usually begun by charities as a way of making a difference in an aspect of society. Without charities or volunteers, there would be worse provisions for mental health, homelessness, crime, and much more.

Then there are digital campaigns, such as #StopSpeakSupport, which encourages young people to put an end to bullying online. If young people are the new generation of adults, and they are being raised in a more positive society, this is going to be bestowed to the next generation - and the next generation - and so on.

Everyone, from the big charity board directors, to the part-time volunteers in a charity shop, all do their bit to make a difference in society. All of this together ultimately changes people's lives. :smile:

As much as I have deference for your intentions, I feel that much pitiful towards your ignorance of the commercial and profit-orientated force that drives prominent executives, if only you knew...
Am happy to answer any questions you have about volunteering in general. :smile:

How old were you when you started volunteering? Where did you apply to/ what roles did you apply to in the beginning? Did you do it while you were studying? If so, how much time did you commit to volunteering and how did you manage your time? How did you help get involved in campaigns? Sorry I know there’s quite a few questions here ahah
Original post by Toy Soldiers
What got you started to do volunteering? I'm a volunteer Scout Leader and I find that very fulfilling. What volunteering opportunities are in high demand at the moment? Would like to take on another charity.

Also do you bulk up your CV with all of your volunteering experience? How do you compress it all within 1/2 a page?

Hello! Thank you for your question. :smile:

I applied and was then invited to write articles for a newspaper designed for young people called First News. The NSPCC then contacted me and invited me to apply for a voluntary position within their charities. I said yes - and my life changed forever.

Charities are always looking for volunteers to give their time for their cause, as they heavily rely on volunteers for their work. At the moment, homelessness is a vast problem in society, and I find that homeless crisis centres are more than ever looking for volunteers to help towards their cause. But I would say find a cause that interests you, and volunteer for a charity that mirrors a cause you are passionate about. :smile:

Volunteering experience is always an important aspect of a CV, but you don't want to bulk it down with everything - especially if you have a lot of experience. I would say name all of your voluntary positions, and mention a couple of key examples of events, campaigns, etc that you volunteered towards.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by a-rose02
How old were you when you started volunteering? Where did you apply to/ what roles did you apply to in the beginning? Did you do it while you were studying? If so, how much time did you commit to volunteering and how did you manage your time? How did you help get involved in campaigns? Sorry I know there’s quite a few questions here ahah

1. I was 15 when I first started volunteering.

2. I started off as a Journalist for First News, which was a voluntary position I applied for online. The NSPCC then contacted me offering me to apply for a voluntary position within their charity, and I agreed. This was when I really started volunteering for a multitude of charities across the UK. :smile:

3/4. Yes, I do voluntary work in my free time whilst being a Year 12 student in Sixth Form. I always prioritise my studies, but when I have any free time, I choose to spend it by volunteering. Most voluntary positions are flexible, so you choose what opportunities you want to volunteer towards - whether you want to do a couple, or loads! As for me, I manage my time by doing my volunteering in my free periods, over some weekends, or (primarily) during my holidays. Sometimes there are voluntary opportunities in person, sometimes they are online, which often makes it a lot easier for me to have access to more voluntary opportunities when I might not have the time to be there in person. I would say take on as much as you realistically can handle, as if you do too much, you may feel overwhelmed. Just do as much time as you can dedicate without it overwhelming you. Charities are often flexible about voluntary hours, so this isn't a worry for me. :smile:

5. Usually a charity would email me inviting me to join their campaign, such as helping formulate it, promote it, and more. If charities are looking for volunteers for campaigns, they often tend to advertise this publicly online. :smile:
1. I was 15 when I first started volunteering.

2. I started off as a Journalist for First News, which was a voluntary position I applied for online. The NSPCC then contacted me offering me to apply for a voluntary position within their charity, and I agreed. This was when I really started volunteering for a multitude of charities across the UK. :smile:

3/4. Yes, I do voluntary work in my free time whilst being a Year 12 student in Sixth Form. I always prioritise my studies, but when I have any free time, I choose to spend it by volunteering. Most voluntary positions are flexible, so you choose what opportunities you want to volunteer towards - whether you want to do a couple, or loads! As for me, I manage my time by doing my volunteering in my free periods, over some weekends, or (primarily) during my holidays. Sometimes there are voluntary opportunities in person, sometimes they are online, which often makes it a lot easier for me to have access to more voluntary opportunities when I might not have the time to be there in person. I would say take on as much as you realistically can handle, as if you do too much, you may feel overwhelmed. Just do as much time as you can dedicate without it overwhelming you. Charities are often flexible about voluntary hours, so this isn't a worry for me. :smile:

5. Usually a charity would email me inviting me to join their campaign, such as helping formulate it, promote it, and more. If charities are looking for volunteers for campaigns, they often tend to advertise this publicly online. :smile:

Thank you so much! This was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest