The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels open the most doors?

I’m debating between which 3 A-Levels I’ll be self teaching, going to a school especially during GCSE was mainly a waste of my time except for subjects like English Lit.

Back to it, I’m planning on studying 3 of the following:

- Biology ( Not a fan of memorising but don’t care since I find biology fascinating and am interested in research in this field for a career )

- Psychology ( Want to keep it open for Degree Level because becoming a Psychologist is an option for me and I loved the subject at GCSE )

- Philosophy ( Love the subject, it was made for me, nothing else to say really )

I like these subjects the most, they leave a wide variety open to me and that’s the most important thing for me, they leave Biology open to me for degree level and also Psychology, I may be interested in many other degrees as well which don’t require specfic A-Levels which is good for me.

Any advice on self studying would be great as well
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
physics cos when u learn moments u learn that doors are opened more easier away from the pivot.
Physics is great it teaches you analytical skills so its good for thinks like Law or becoming a therapist but up 2 u but keep physics as a potential option
I don't know about other careers but for science, I know that usually you need two science A-levels and the third one doesn't really matter in terms of requirements. As in if you want to do something biology related most unis say you require biology and a second science subject which are chemistry, physics and maths. I think psychology also counts. In the same if you want chemistry or physics related you need your main science subject and a second one. I am studying biology, chemistry and maths but instead I wish I picked biology maths and another essay based subject. Something more like history, sociology, psychology (or anything but chemistry haha). I think since you enjoy those subjects it should make it much easier. Biology is certainly very interesting and don't worry the content is a lot, but they all link so you will find it easier to memorise over time. I don't really have any advice on self-studying, sorry. Good luck!
Original post by Your Local Cat
physics cos when u learn moments u learn that doors are opened more easier away from the pivot.

Hmm..you have a point 😂
languages maybe?
stem subjects
basically any 'facilitating' subjects. maths, languages are always a good one, english lit, science, history.

unless you really want to study psych, i heard u dont need it at a level to do it at uni. idk how true this is, if anyone wants to add anything about that go ahead.

with bio, it is pure memorisation.

philosophy - good, you're one of the smart kids doing a subject you actually enjoy.

the point is, if you want to be the most open, choose some facilitating subjects. but that means nothing if u choose subjects youre not good at/dont enjoy. the best way to keep your options open is to get good grades tbh.
Maths, Chemistry and further maths
Original post by Oneiropólos
I’m debating between which 3 A-Levels I’ll be self teaching, going to a school especially during GCSE was mainly a waste of my time except for subjects like English Lit.

Back to it, I’m planning on studying 3 of the following:

- Biology ( Not a fan of memorising but don’t care since I find biology fascinating and am interested in research in this field for a career )

- Psychology ( Want to keep it open for Degree Level because becoming a Psychologist is an option for me and I loved the subject at GCSE )

- Philosophy ( Love the subject, it was made for me, nothing else to say really )

I like these subjects the most, they leave a wide variety open to me and that’s the most important thing for me, they leave Biology open to me for degree level and also Psychology, I may be interested in many other degrees as well which don’t require specfic A-Levels which is good for me.

Any advice on self studying would be great as well

I will help on any philosophy you need.... and biology, begrudgingly
I hated psychology it was more centred on past studies and learning 0 psychology, in terms of what opens more doors it entirely depends what you want to do, but two traditional sciences is generally good (chem and bio Id do)
imo i always suggest to year 12s to start with 4 a levels. i dont think its worth doing 4 subjects imo to A2, but you never know how you're going to like a subject at a level, and you need back up options. for example, french is nothing like it is at gcse, but maths is pretty similar.

Quick Reply

Latest