Why Was Swiss Neutrality Always Respected By The Nazis?

Watch
Subterranean and Homesick
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
As above. It bordered a German territory, and it can't have been very hard to occupy Switzerland while they were there. It's an Aryan country with traditional values, so why didn't they?

Is there a bigger reason than 'it was where the high Nazis hid their plundered riches'?

EDIT: While researching this, I discovered an incredible statistic. In the North-East Swiss canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden, women were not given the right to vote until 1990!
Mrgd291190
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Swiss banks and auction houses processed the gold and art stolen by the Nazi's from, predominately, the Jews.

Switzerland must also be ...slightly... hard to invade as it's surrounded by mountains. The swiss army (1/10th the size of anything the Germans could muster) planned to blow up the mountain passes if invaded to block themselves in but it was thought this'd only last for about 7-10 days. Harsh
Mrgd291190
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OH! And I think the Italians weren't keen on it. Would have given German armies a staging base to take northern Italy. Hitler and Mussolini got on well but were always apparently trying to second guess each other.
01rorlin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Switzerland would have been quite diffucult to take, and a bit pointless.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They were only really interested in eastward expansion in any case. Save for France - but that was for revenge.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The swiss made the Nazis chocolate on the cheap in return for independence.
Mrgd291190
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by 43.)
The swiss made the Nazis chocolate on the cheap in return for independence.
LOL

The perfect reason

Also, the constant bombing would have obliterated the Lindt factories :eek:
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
:ditto: They did not want a war on both fronts.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the Swiss pretty much did whatever the Nazi's wanted them to do when asked, provided no strategic advantage and we're quite hard to invade, as they had the mountains to protect them.
Mrgd291190
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
+ barely any military, not a belligerent enemy = no threat.

I don't know but I would imagine the Papacy could defend them. All Catholics together plus they needed the Swiss Guard. After the Concordat and the change in Pope, the Vatican didn't protest too much in anything for several years.
Speedbird2008
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Subterranean and Homesick)
women were not given the right to vote until 1990!
Letting WOMEN vote?!

WTF has happened to this world??

:rolleyes:

Spike4848
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Firstly, Switzerland is not aggressive and has no expansionist tendencies.

Secondly, Switzerland has only been taken once in its history since the Old Swiss Confederacy during the medeival period. The Nazis didn't think it was worth it.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because Switzerland were valued customers for the German arms industry.

Cf.

(They also made a lot of economic concessions to Germany, so effectively bought their neutrality and freedom).
Concept
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Spike4848)
Firstly, Switzerland is not aggressive and has no expansionist tendencies.
You could've said that about luxembourg, though...

Anyway, Switzerland would have been very difficult to take. As someone has already said, the swiss army would have retreated to the mountains where they had various fortifications and held out there - effectively initiating a siege. It would have been too costly for the Germans to invade.
yaf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by women were not given the right to vote until [I)
1990![/I]
wowww i watched this documentry and women were exspected to do everything and there husband was in charge of everything,very backwards wonder why this is
Lucien_Roach
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Germans did draw up invasion plans to invade Switzerland, but at no point was able to commit to these plans on the basis that continuing to fight on the Russian front was more justifiable. However the German air force generally ignored the boundaries Swiss Airspace and continued to violate it throughout the war. Which resulted in many planes being shot down by Swiss AA guns.

Equally the Swiss prepared defensive strategies that would have hindered any attempted invasions. This involved plans to blow up mountain passes and occupy heavily fortified mountain positions. The Swiss Army likely numbered about 0.5million troops, making the cost of invasion too high to justify.

There was little benefit seen to invading Switzerland during the War due to the already over-stretched nature of the German Army. Also The Swiss government followed a policy of Economic co-operation combined with the extension of credit. Producing viable route to convert plundered goods to capital to finance the war. The Swiss were left with very little choice considering that Switzerland was surrounded by Nazi occupied territory from 1940 through to 1944.

There were attempts by a small Nazi party in Switzerland to merge with Germany, but the Swiss were generally opposed to Nazism and hence it failed, The press in particularly were heavy critics of the Third Reich.

Finally There were no evidence to suggest the prehistoric Germans occupied this area, thus it was not as justifiable under Nazi ideology
Lucien_Roach
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not really needed to know if your Sixth Form but anyway... in rough

In 1911 a man named Gustaf Kossinna released a book titled The Origins of the Germans, which argued a prehistoric German race had settled in Central Europe in the Early Iron Age. He was highly influential till after the World War.

He developed a now-discredited technique called settlement archaeology to prove this (also know as Culture History), The idea was an ethnic groups were linked directly to their material remains, and in Germany there was alot of what is known as "Wessenstedt" and "Jastorf" culture from the EIA (Early Iron Age).

Pre Germanic Invasion Europe 750BC:
Yellow = Hallstatt Culture Area
Green = La Tene Culture Area (see below)

Invasion by Germans 750BC-1BC

Prior to collapse of Rome AD400
Red/Orange = Germanic
Purple = Roman Areas

The other culture under this theory that dominated Europe in the EIA through to the Roman period was Celtic Culture or "Le Tene" Culture, which was diaplaced by the invading prehistoric Germans in central Europe

Hitler used this theory to justify German Expansion into areas that German Culture was found. Switzerland never had German Culture introduced though.
I don't agree about the theory by the way.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (92)
38.33%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (26)
10.83%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.75%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.08%

Watched Threads