Travelling alone is it worth it?

Watch
ineedtorevise127
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it worth travelling on your own? Say if you want to go to the other side of the world like Singapore?

I am worried that solo holidays will be too boring?

For those who have been solo holidays how was it and what did you most enjoy about it?
filipw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah it is worth it you'll meet people along the way
nekoremusic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Theres something nice about not having to be around people you know. I think holidays are about escapism, being in a different place with different people is part of that. You can behave pretty much however you want and are less restricted in what you can see/activities.

Downsides are carrying all financial responsibility and loneliness.
Personally I think these are easy to get over if you're sensible with money and make an effort to meet new people.

I mostly solo travel, it's easier to make spontaneous arrangements with myself whenever I have enough money rather than like the year+ of planning that comes with a group holiday
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What? Love it... the trick is in the gaze! Maybe it helps I was left by thugs with half a face... it grew back. My face now says unless you have a gun then do your worst. If not... go away!
JTR__
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I prefer going solo as my friends have vastly different preferences from me (they’re deadset on beach holidays or staying at resorts), and by staying in hostels you have the opportunity to meet new people or avoid them if you want a day to yourself πŸ˜…

=

Eg I saved for ages so I could spend 2 months on the cheap in China, staying in hostels apart from when studying. There was a city I wanted to visit just for its history, and by myself I just rearranged my schedule to fit it in.

I only struggled to meet people in one location- apart from that, there was always someone to chat to!
I met 2 really lovely guys in a hostel in Xi’an, and we ended up going to climb a nearby mountain together (not as dodgy as it sounds, promise!). After staying in the city for a few days, I helped out another person who looked lost one morning and we ended up just spending the day together exploring, then met up a week later when we both ended up in Beijing at the same time. In Beijing I became friends with a couple from my hostel, and we went to an opera performance together.

And those were just other foreigners: I spoke a little mandarin so would try and chat a bit with anyone who came up to me.

I met loads of people but as I like my own space also could just spend an evening reading after a busy day.

=

I think the best part of solo travel is the freedom it offers- you don’t have to compromise quite as much. It can be a bit hard sometimes to not have a second person though, but as a really quiet person it forced me to reach out to their people. I found hostels helped with this though! All the people I talked to were so open and often in the same situation, and you met people from all over the world.

I often go to visit friends abroad (eg friend living in Germany) where I will visit them then go explore for a few days in another local city. I enjoy this as it’s a compromise, with a few days with a friend and a few by myself.

This was a bit of a ramble (sorry!), but feel free to message if you have any questions!
ucla__
Report 1 year ago
It depends on your personality, if you're outgoing it shouldn't be a problem for you to meet with locals. If you're quite a shy person then I would suggest you don't go alone.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
Is it worth travelling on your own? Say if you want to go to the other side of the world like Singapore?

I am worried that solo holidays will be too boring? (...)
I think so. You can do so much alone in other parts of the world,no matter where you are and if you prefer in- or outdoor events.
Jackyjack96
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)

I am worried that solo holidays will be too boring?

For those who have been solo holidays how was it and what did you most enjoy about it?
It depends how extroverted you are I guess...I've only travelled with friends and think its probably the better idea aka you have people to share the trip experience with and safer. But then again you'll always meet plenty of people travelling particularly if your staying at hostels
freezer86
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no answer to that because everyone is different. Travelling alone can be as much boring as travelling with others. It's up to you how you organize your time and activities to make sure you won't get bored at any point. I always go on my own because I don't have to rely on someone's availability, mood, financial situation, physical fitness etc.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I live my whole live alone.
It all depends what are your capabilities of interaction, who do you meet, and what are your abilities to adapt.
Schizoids don't even need companionship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.58%
I'm not sure (32)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (351)
48.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed