The Student Room Group

If i don't want to get married, is that a sin?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your individual circumstances.

Marriage can be anything from mandatory to prohibited.

Provided that you are able to avoid any sin by not marrying, you will not be sinning for not marrying
Original post by Rainfall
You have to get married even if u don’t want to. It’s half of your deen, honbun

No, you do not have to unless you fall into a circumstance where it is mandatory for you to marry.
Original post by Rainfall
You have to get married even if u don’t want to. It’s half of your deen, honbun

No dear. It may be half the deen but it is not compulsory. It is encouraged and advised.

The biggest barrier here is that the OP needs to speak up not religion. Her parent's are not getting married. She is. Before Islam in certain countries and cultures this was the norm to get married you have no interest in. But Islam gave the power to woman to say No. If the OP speaks to her mum or someone she trusts irl by voicing her opinion lots of things can change. If OP is unsure about her sexuality that is is a different case but OP must voice her concerns about marriage.

I hope I have not offended anyone and I apologise if I did
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
Hmmm I guess you are right I mean my siblings do call me "lez" (lesbian) as a nickname at home and my mother tries to ignore it and tells me to "grow up". When I get so passionate about LGBT rights my mother tells me to be quiet... so maybe she thinks I am. My father however I do not think knows what being LGBT means!

And yeh I know marriage wont solve the problem but the person whom I get married to can just divorce me. My teacher told me "it wont be fair on the person you decide to befriend" but I'm just really stuck.
I dont feel comfortable talking to people like support groups online and the only person who really knows my situation is my teacher but even though she regularly emails me i do not like to tell her my problems and be a pain:frown:
I'd rather keep things bottled up inside me.

No don't bottle things up it will increase your pain.There are Lgbt muslim support groups in many major cities believe it or not. You could try connecting with them. They are more likely understand what you are going through and will offer you support. Believe me when i tell you- divorce is not pretty. People often compare it to a bereavement in the family. Why would you deliberately get married for failure? You sound intelligent enough to find other ways in which you can eventually live with a lesbian if you wish to. You can delay your parents as much as you can till you get older then you will have even more options. Don't go for a heterosexual marriage- so many gay muslims are regretting doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending