Career Advice: Training Contract, self-fund GDL or give up and stick to Politics

Watch
biggymo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a 3rd year student of Politics and International Relations at the University of Kent. I'm on track to graduate with a first class degree. However, at a-level I got BCC. (mitigating circumstances)

I really want to become a solicitor. Preferably at a magic circle/silver circle firm. Or any firm with an international presence.

I've had work experience at a Silver Circle firm, and I've also done work experience at a high street firm for 3 months over the summer.

Now I'm considering self-funding the GDL?
Or doing a masters in my field, International Public Policy at University College London and applying for TC's as I go?

or do I forget the legal career and go down a path related to my field?

I really want to be a solicitor, but i am stuck in terms of my non-law degree and my poor alevels.

What if i follow a career in my field, and try be a solicitor later, like a change?

Help??
Last edited by biggymo; 1 year ago
EGray1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing a non-law degree won’t disadvantage you - firms recruit 50:50 law to non-law! If you have mitigating circumstances for the a levels then they won’t hold you back. Perhaps try contacting firm HR in the new year and explaining your A Levels and mitigating circumstances, and asking them if it’s worth applying. If they say yes then I’d say self-fund the GDL and apply for vac schemes! It shows you as a candidate who is serious about a career in law, in my opinion. I have friends doing the GDL self-funded and they said most people are snapped up by firms by Christmas.
biggymo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by EGray1998)
Doing a non-law degree won’t disadvantage you - firms recruit 50:50 law to non-law! If you have mitigating circumstances for the a levels then they won’t hold you back. Perhaps try contacting firm HR in the new year and explaining your A Levels and mitigating circumstances, and asking them if it’s worth applying. If they say yes then I’d say self-fund the GDL and apply for vac schemes! It shows you as a candidate who is serious about a career in law, in my opinion. I have friends doing the GDL self-funded and they said most people are snapped up by firms by Christmas.
Thank you EGray1998, this is very encouraging
TresorOx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’re story and background sounds very similar to a friend of mine. He also attended Kent (studied law and self-funded the LPC) and did a Mastets at UCL. He is currently a future trainee at a Silver Circle Firm.

As mentioned, you’re not a disadvantage so long as you have a strong mitigating circumstance and graduate with a high 2:1 or 1st Class.

Most Magic Circles (bar Slaughter & May) and Silver Circles value other things away from grades etc. Ideally, I would try and get the GDL funded but most people end up self-funding the GDL then get the LPC funded following a TC offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads