The Student Room Group

retail stores that hire 15/16 year olds

So i’ve been working in a restaurant since june and even though i like it, id much rather work in retail. i’m quitting in february to focus on my GCSE’s and then i want to find work as soon as they’re finished, i’m not 16 until july so i can wait until them but i’d rather get it as soon as they’re done. i’ve got experience in restaurant (obvi) and i did work experience at a place that designs for ted baker kids. i’d want to work somewhere like topshop, new look etc. will they hire at 15 or 16?j
Original post by claudialeam
So i’ve been working in a restaurant since june and even though i like it, id much rather work in retail. i’m quitting in february to focus on my GCSE’s and then i want to find work as soon as they’re finished, i’m not 16 until july so i can wait until them but i’d rather get it as soon as they’re done. i’ve got experience in restaurant (obvi) and i did work experience at a place that designs for ted baker kids. i’d want to work somewhere like topshop, new look etc. will they hire at 15 or 16?j

Generally shops hire 15 yr olds around festive/busy periods only. However 16 upwards I'm sure they'll be willing to consider you. I would advise emailing the careers team and asking them if they have any vacancies for your age range
I think it's fine, as long as they are paying them well - what's the issue
Primark generally hire children, I started working there when I was 15, but I wouldn't; it's horrible.
However, the pay isn't that bad when you're under 18 - they pay a fair amount over the minimum wage, but not once you get from 18onwards
Original post by claudialeam

99% of stores wont take you on until you are both 16 and left school. Mainly because of all the rules and regulations and also national insurance number issues. Once you are both 16 and left school, pretty much all will take you on.
Could you not keep your restaurant job on for now? Even if its just one shift a week through your GCSE's.
Reply 5
Original post by charlotte100200
Primark generally hire children, I started working there when I was 15, but I wouldn't; it's horrible.
However, the pay isn't that bad when you're under 18 - they pay a fair amount over the minimum wage, but not once you get from 18onwards

I actually work there now. They changed their pay to £7.38 an hour for anyone under 25. This is much higher than the usual wage paid for 18-21 year olds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending