The Student Room Group

Joining Army Cadets at 17

Hi guys,
So i just turned 17 about a month ago, and i’ve always wanted to join the army cadets but have just been to shy etc etc. Anyways i was looking on their website and i think you can join up until 18? I was just wondering if anyone knew what it would be like joining at 17 or if it’s too late or worth it
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,
So i just turned 17 about a month ago, and i’ve always wanted to join the army cadets but have just been to shy etc etc. Anyways i was looking on their website and i think you can join up until 18? I was just wondering if anyone knew what it would be like joining at 17 or if it’s too late or worth it

Joining at 17 is a tad late to the "game" with the Cadet Forces, especially the Army Cadets. They have a max age of 18 so you'll only get a year out of them. The Air Cadets keeps people on until 20 though (for now...)!

I was in the Air Cadets for 7 years (13-20 years old). I could not recommend an organisation more! :smile: The Army Cadets are a great organisation too, it just won't get much out of your one year with them since you'll need to do your "junior cadet" training before you can go on any camps, do shooting etc.
I joined the ACF at 17 too and I absolutely hated it. I think if I joined when I was about 13 I'd have enjoyed it more but the majority of the people there were like 13/14 and were just really childish and annoying and thought they were better than everyone else so I quit because I was doing 6 hours a week there and couldn't handle it
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

you'll probs have to be around people a lot younger than u, as there is levels when u start your a basic (normally a younger group at this level) then 1 star, 2 star etc... other 17 yo will be 3/4 stars i suspect you will come in finish basic then have to quit cos your age
Original post by malcolmmarecki
you'll probs have to be around people a lot younger than u, as there is levels when u start your a basic (normally a younger group at this level) then 1 star, 2 star etc... other 17 yo will be 3/4 stars i suspect you will come in finish basic then have to quit cos your age

That was my thoughts too, (admittedly i was there 20 odd years back) joining at 17 would make you stick out like a sore thumb, people will assume or joke you're an army reject.

As Malcolm said, you'd be quite the oddity, a 17 yr old no star cadet, you might have a hard time taking orders from all the 14/15 years old's since they will have stripes and stars

Bit obv, but the TA is the bigger boys cadets, it's not like you don't still have options.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello, it is worth it and you should wait till your 18 so you can be a Adult Volunteer.

Quick Reply

Latest