Professional Skills Test: Mental Maths Watch

kisses
Badges: 7
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am very anxious about this part of the test as I'm finding it difficult to complete the questions in the time provided. I listen twice to make sure I haven't missed anything out and that gives me a much shorter time to answer the questions.

1. How long do you have to complete each question in the actual mental maths test?

2. Are the questions harder than the practice tests on the skills website?

3. Please link any great online resources or books

4. Any other useful tips or tricks would be useful
Last edited by kisses; 1 month ago
ATinyRevolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kisses)
I am very anxious about this part of the test as I'm finding it difficult to complete the questions in the time provided. I listen twice to make sure I haven't missed anything out and that gives me a much shorter time to answer the questions.

1. How long do you have to complete each question in the actual mental maths test?

2. Are the questions harder than the practice tests on the skills website?

3. Please link any great online resources or books

4. Any other useful tips or tricks would be useful
1) Same timing as in the practice tests, but bear in mind you get a whiteboard to use
2) Nope, I found them a little easier. I still couldn't answer a couple of them in time - and I'm certain I got quite a few wrong! - but generally there's less steps per question. It's more like 'calculate this', rather than 'calculate this and this to figure out a wider problem'
3/4) I used the 'Skills Tests for Dummies' book, but generally the most useful thing was to note down points that I kept on forgetting (both for the mental bit and otherwise) into a document, then I focused on revising that before the test. Knowing conversions between fractions/decimals/percentages is very important (e.g. 1/8 = 12.5%), the 24 hour clock, and being able to simplify fractions (knowing your times tables helps for that).

The Numeracy skills test is easier than the practice ones, so if you can get to the point where you're passing the practice ones, I think you'll be fine for the real thing.
Matureb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try to write down as much as possible on the first reading. Then you have about a minute to answer the question, instead of 18 seconds.
kisses
Thank you for the suggestions.
kisses
(Original post by ATinyRevolt)
1) Same timing as in the practice tests, but bear in mind you get a whiteboard to use
2) Nope, I found them a little easier. I still couldn't answer a couple of them in time - and I'm certain I got quite a few wrong! - but generally there's less steps per question. It's more like 'calculate this', rather than 'calculate this and this to figure out a wider problem'
3/4) I used the 'Skills Tests for Dummies' book, but generally the most useful thing was to note down points that I kept on forgetting (both for the mental bit and otherwise) into a document, then I focused on revising that before the test. Knowing conversions between fractions/decimals/percentages is very important (e.g. 1/8 = 12.5%), the 24 hour clock, and being able to simplify fractions (knowing your times tables helps for that).

The Numeracy skills test is easier than the practice ones, so if you can get to the point where you're passing the practice ones, I think you'll be fine for the real thing.

Thank you for this.

What were you getting when you first started doing the tests? I am getting 37%! I am very worried. Mental maths has always been a weakness of mine but I didn't expect to do this bad. The mental maths part lets me down a great deal. I managed to get three correct and ran out of time for the rest. I am practising, so fingers crossed!
ATinyRevolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for this.

What were you getting when you first started doing the tests? I am getting 37%! I am very worried. Mental maths has always been a weakness of mine but I didn't expect to do this bad. The mental maths part lets me down a great deal. I managed to get three correct and ran out of time for the rest. I am practising, so fingers crossed!
I'm not sure of my initial scores but they were definitely low - I remember not being able to answer almost all the mental maths questions (and the other section of the paper didn't go well either!). Starting off with a low score isn't anything to worry about.
Muserock
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for this.

I scored 17% on the first practice paper I did. I then practised every day for weeks and saw my scores slowly climb. It's a case of practising, reviewing what you are going wrong on, revising that topic and practising some more. I passed on the first attempt.
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The real test is much easier than the practice tests. The trick is to write down everything you'll need for the sum during the first hearing. Then crack on with solving it if you got everything, when she starts to read it a second time.

For the non-calculator section, just be speedy and don't get too caught up on one question - you can flag it and come back to it if you've spent more than 2 minutes on it and aren't close.

Just stay calm and remember you can retake as many times as you like now! It was 3 strikes and you're out (for 2 years) when I took mine.
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GA Numerical on youtube helps for the mental maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads