student9876543
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Could anyone provide some insight into perhaps which degree I should be applying to? I am currently in art foundation, thanks in advance. I always thought I would be applying for illustration courses, I think mainly because I like drawing and narrative, so of course I have been looking at illustration degrees at kingston and leeds arts. However I have been feeling a bit of a cringe sometimes when I go to more conceptual and fine art exhibitions and find that I really like the work. My illustration teachers really want me to do illustration I think mainly because I only really like artists work that has narrative in it, and I have been learning how to do puppetry through some of my projects at foundation. However, I am worried that the fact that illustration has to commnuicate correctly stresses me out and doesnt come naturally to me + I find the briefs too strict. The projects I have enjoyed the most are the ones were I have focused on my own image and worked conceptually doing tonnes of research. I like to communicate in a way which is interesting (to me) because you dont completely understand what I am communicating, work that is very symbolic, I struggle alot with being interested in making work that is too literal. I move very eclectically from one media to another. I am interested in perhaps doing animation, but I like more fine arty animation like discussed in this article: https://www.modernindenver.com/2017/...next-frontier/ to sum up , I am worried that illustration is too restricting for me, and that fine art might not like how much I love narrative. Any ideas?
Last edited by student9876543; 9 months ago
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It sounds like you want to look at a more experimental animation course as opposed to a commercially focused one. That should allow you to express your desire for narrative I should think. For undergraduate courses you might want to look at Arts University of Bournemouth, Duncans of Jordanstone and also UWE (Bristol) for example. The RCA (Royal College of Art) is probably the most famous experimental animation course in the UK but it's post graduate only. You could also try talking to Fine Art courses; some of them might be open to allowing you to create animations as part of their degrees; but it's doubtful they would be able to teach yo uthe practical side of animation if you needed that sort of advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (261)
54.38%
18-20 years old (no) (62)
12.92%
20-25 years old (yes) (80)
16.67%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.88%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.21%
25-30 years old (no) (0)
0%
30-40 years old (yes) (24)
5%
30-40 years old (no) (3)
0.63%
40+ years old (yes) (9)
1.88%
40+ years old (no) (7)
1.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise