Does one's race affect their intelligence?

Watch
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I came across this article about race affecting intelligence and was thinking how stupid that theory is.

What do you guys think about this claim?

P.s. Can't find the article rn but if I do i'll link it here

EDIT: Here's the article: https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...f-race-science
Last edited by username3973192; 1 year ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
one's race and one's intelligence

don't just start randomly mixing in pronouns
username3973192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
one's race and one's intelligence

don't just start randomly mixing in pronouns
Aaah lol never saw that
lolgirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
I came across this article about race affecting intelligence and was thinking how stupid that theory is.

huh...thats an interesting theory...
i definitely dont think race affects intelligence, but i believe genetics do
username3973192
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolgirl7103)
huh...thats an interesting theory...
i definitely dont think race affects intelligence, but i believe genetics do
How so?
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

There needs to be a good definition of intelligence to start with.
But intelligence almost always has some dimension concerning the amount, size, motion, relation, interaction and structure of neural path ways
It is entirely possible that a larger brain has greater capabilities, they tend to be more abstract/holistic thinkers compared to smaller brains who are more likely to be concrete thinkers.
Some races have larger brains on average than other races.
If we are not talking entirely about hereditary then there is an environmental factor, and culture plays an important role for the latter
math42
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From what I recall, the IQ stats suggest this. But IQ is both a flawed measure and almost certainly dependent on education, rather than being a measure of something innate/unwavering. I'm inclined to believe that if everyone had the same opportunities there would be very little difference in the stats.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago

Find the article.
username3973192
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Find the article.
Yh lol I'm going to, my friend showed it to me so I'm gonna ask him to send it to me
username3973192
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Find the article.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...f-race-science
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by math42)
From what I recall, the IQ stats suggest this. But IQ is both a flawed measure and almost certainly dependent on education, rather than being a measure of something innate/unwavering. I'm inclined to believe that if everyone had the same opportunities there would be very little difference in the stats.
I disagree
lolgirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How so?
i´d have to find the article again
but in class, we were doing a debate about what affects a human more, nature or nurture?
I was on the nature side, so i found statistics saying that an IQ of someone is based 75% on genetics and 25% on environment (including school)
But race is just groups comparing physical or social qualities
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I suppose that humans are more intelligent than dogs, so yeah, race affects intelligence.

If there were different races of people (I don't want to argue if there are or not) then you could simply measure average intelligence withing the races and get some data without speculation.
However, according to the old school of research on the level of intelligence withing different groups of people, individual characteristics and nationality was making much larger difference than belonging to any race, except for Pygmies.
Among African population, in some places people were on average much less intelligent than Europeans, but in some their intellegence was the same as European on average.
Far-East Asians were even doing better in IQ tests on average, than Europeans.

Yes, it depends on education but try to educate a cat to become a professor. You need both education and biological ability to develop a certain amount of intelligence.
Also we should distinguish between fluid and cristalized intelligence. Fluid intelligence is an ability to see paterns and solve problems you haven't faced before. Cristalized intelligence is an achievement- the higher your fluid intelligence is and the better education, the higher cristalized intelligence you can achieve.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lolgirl7103)
but in class, we were doing a debate about what affects a human more, nature or nurture?
It's a terribly broad question.
Zasty
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Culture+Enviroment probably does. But race is a fake word anyway
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s possible that genes affect your intelligence. In fact it’s almost certain. A cow will never be as intelligent as a human regardless of what environment you raise it in, simply because it is limited by its genes; the same genes that make it a cow.

Obviously your genes also affect your race/ethnicity or whatever you want to call it.

So even if race and intelligence don’t affect each other directly, it’s quite plausible that, independently of environment, members of some ethnicities might consistently turn out to be more or less intelligent than members of other ethnicities, on average - especially because geographical factors cause the prevalence of certain genes to correlate with each other.
Last edited by tazarooni89; 1 year ago
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, if a black, white, asian and hispanic child were brought up EXACTLY the same way I imagine their intelligence would not differ. At least not by much.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 year ago
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
No, if a black, white, asian and hispanic child were brought up EXACTLY the same way I imagine their intelligence would not differ. At least not by much.
If you brought up a thousand of each like that, their intelligence on average would not differ, because from what we know so far, most if not all races biologically have the capability to reach same intelligence, but it differs a lot among individuals also because of their DNA. (However, chromosomes that code brain is one of the most altering from generation to generation so there is a chance that a child would have different IQ levels than his or her parents, even if received exactly the same education.

However, if you took a thousand people of a certain culture, in which they have notoriously been marrying their cousins, IQ level on average would probably be lower because inbreeding causes mental ******edness.
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
However, if you took a thousand people of a certain culture, in which they have notoriously been marrying their cousins, IQ level on average would probably be lower because inbreeding causes mental ******edness.
Well I just meant race. I suppose not the culture aspect of it all. Having a child who is the product of inbreeding (as often occurs in islamic cultures - not exactly race but I understand where you are coming from) would kind of derail the study and we wouldn't be looking at "race" per se but culture behind race. When I think of race I just think of skin colour, so if that wasn't what the OP meant then I apologise.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 year ago
LongMarch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apart from the fact that when intelligence experts anonymously fill out a survey on their views on nature/nurture and the heritability of intelligence, most argue that it is at least 50% heritable (the hereditarian position). You can work out for yourself why these scientists only admit this anonymously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (46)
36.8%
No (65)
52%
I don't know (14)
11.2%

Watched Threads