The Student Room Group

Stuck on chemistry multiple choice Q HELP!

Q: When vanadium reacts with chlorine at 400°C, a brown compound is obtained. When an
aqueous solution containing 0.193 g of this compound was treated with aqueous silver nitrate all the chlorine in the compound was precipitated as silver chloride. The mass of silver chloride (AgCl) produced was 0.574 g. Which one of the following could be the formula of the brown compound?

A VCl
B VCl2
C VCl3
D VCl4

I'm not exactly sure what to do here?

I've tried to work out the total mass of chlorine that is present in silver chloride as I think that might be important here.

So this gave me '0.142 g' by doing '35.5/143.5' which is known to be fraction of how much chlorine makes up the silver chloride compound and then multiplying it by the total mass of silver chloride '0.574 g' giving '0.142 g' of chlorine that exists in the silver chloride

What would the next step be now? Do I need to somehow maybe set up an equation of vanadium reacting with AgCl that will help give a molar ratio or something?

I'm not too sure.

Any help would be nice. Thanks a lot!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yatayyat
Q: When vanadium reacts with chlorine at 400°C, a brown compound is obtained. When an
aqueous solution containing 0.193 g of this compound was treated with aqueous silver nitrate all the chlorine in the compound was precipitated as silver chloride. The mass of silver chloride (AgCl) produced was 0.574 g. Which one of the following could be the formula of the brown compound?

A VCl
B VCl2
C VCl3
D VCl4

I'm not exactly sure what to do here?

I've tried to work out the total mass of chlorine that is present in silver chloride as I think that might be important here.

So this gave me '0.142 g' by doing '35.5/143.5' which is known to be fraction of how much chlorine makes up the silver chloride compound and then multiplying it by the total mass of silver chloride '0.574 g' giving '0.142 g' of chlorine that exists in the silver chloride

What would the next step be now? Do I need to somehow maybe set up an equation of vanadium reacting with AgCl that will help give a molar ratio or something?

I'm not too sure.

Any help would be nice. Thanks a lot!

Find number of moles of AgCl

Find number of moles of chlorine

Find mass of chlorine

Find mass of vanadium

Find the formula. (VCl4)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BobbJo

Find mass of chlorine

Find mass of vanadium

Find the formula. (VCl4)

I know mass of chlorine to be 0.142g, so moles of chlorine is 4 x 10^-3 moles

But how would you find mass of vanadium?
I know mass of chlorine to be 0.142g, so moles of chlorine is 4 x 10^-3 moles

But how would you find mass of vanadium?

The compound only contains vanadium and chlorine

So 0.193 g of vanadium chloride = x g of vanadium + 0.142 g of chlorine

hence you get masses and do a calculation similar to empirical formula
Reply 4
Original post by BobbJo
The compound only contains vanadium and chlorine

So 0.193 g of vanadium chloride = x g of vanadium + 0.142 g of chlorine

hence you get masses and do a calculation similar to empirical formula

So mass of vanadium should be 0.051g by doing 0.193 - 0.142 = 0.051g

Therefore mass of chlorine is 0.142 g and the mass of vanadium is 0.051 g.

I used the empirical formula like you said where I know the Ar of vanadium is 50.9 and the Ar of chlorine is 35.5 from the periodic table.

0.051/50.9 = 0.001

0.142/35.5 = 0.004

Then I divided by the smallest number out of the two again which in this case is 0.001. Giving a ratio of 1:4.

So the formula has to be VCl4.

Would you say this is right?
So mass of vanadium should be 0.051g by doing 0.193 - 0.142 = 0.051g

Therefore mass of chlorine is 0.142 g and the mass of vanadium is 0.051 g.

I used the empirical formula like you said where I know the Ar of vanadium is 50.9 and the Ar of chlorine is 35.5 from the periodic table.

0.051/50.9 = 0.001

0.142/35.5 = 0.004

Then I divided by the smallest number out of the two again which in this case is 0.001. Giving a ratio of 1:4.

So the formula has to be VCl4.

Would you say this is right?

Yes
Reply 6
Original post by BobbJo
Yes

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Original post by username3249896

Find mass of chlorine

Find mass of vanadium

Find the formula. (VCl4)

why does finding the mass allow you to find the ratio?
I thought the formula of a compound is determined using the molar ratio? x

Quick Reply

Latest