Strength training advice

Watch
TMWEe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I am 17 5"10 76 kg with a slim build and a bit of belly fat.and I regularly go to the gym twice a week doing both cardio and strength training. I want to ask whether free weight training inhibits the development of bones and muscle. I heard this many times. If the resistance machines become easy should I start weight training?
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am no expert in this field however as far as I am aware what may prohibit bone development is lack of calcium, muscle development will be increased by free weights not inhibited, the reason people may think that growth development may be inhibited by weight training is possibly due to the fact that they don't eat enough calories, and might not be leaving any for actually growing/development if that makes sense ? Of course how tall you will grow is going to mainly depend on genetics too.
shamensaki
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TMWEe)
Hi I am 17 5"10 76 kg with a slim build and a bit of belly fat.and I regularly go to the gym twice a week doing both cardio and strength training. I want to ask whether free weight training inhibits the development of bones and muscle. I heard this many times. If the resistance machines become easy should I start weight training?
No, lifting heavy weight won't stunt growth but lifting it with a bad form could affect on you body structure. Secondly I started off with resistance machines when I was 15 years old but tbh a lot of people told me that and its a kind of true with free weights you have more control and you will do better then those machines so I suggest you do free weights. Thirdly your 17 and believe me I wasted 2-3 years doing random exercise that did build muscles but I could have done better if I would have known what to really do back then. I would suggest you that if you are doing strength training which you should be doing at this age then look for a programme. For example I am doing Stronglifts 5x5. You can pick any other strength training programme so yh do some research on google about these programmes. And lastly eat well to build strength and muscle. Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads