The Student Room Group

Rejection - senseless

Would like to seek opinions of others:

I have applied for a few graduate schemes i.e. must have a minimum 2:1, business/economics degree advantageous, sales experience a bonus etc etc.

I have first class honours, a business economics degree, and various employment history i.e. sales.

My application was rejected at the first stage, just the initial submission i.e. filling an online application. No test, or video interview.

Don't understand why?
Maybe they thought that you were over qualified and would leave as soon as you got a better offer.
How long did you stay at your last three jobs?
Original post by Keynes_101

I have applied for a few graduate schemes i.e. must have a minimum 2:1, business/economics degree advantageous, sales experience a bonus etc etc.

I have first class honours, a business economics degree, and various employment history i.e. sales.

My application was rejected at the first stage, just the initial submission i.e. filling an online application. No test, or video interview.

Don't understand why?

how long ago did you graduate?
Reply 3
Don't worry with these credentials you'll get along fine. Any idea why you might not have been selected, may just have been more good cabndidates than places, but best to reflect on this for next time.
Maybe they were only looking for 1 or 2 people. Maybe they weren't recruiting anyone. (Lots of companies do this just to keep their name in peoples' minds)
Maybe they were looking for someone with more or less experience. Maybe they really wanted a guy or a girl or someone black or someone white.

The arcane magicka of HR is really not something to waste your time thinking about. Just smash out 50-80 job applications and play the numbers. :smile:

SS

Don't understand why?

It's important to note that competition for most graduate roles in intense and most organisations recieve more than enough applications which meet their initial criteria. This means that meeting that is no guarentee of even getting through the first round. It's also more than possible that when deciding who went through to the next stage that the recruiters placed more weight on the online application than candidates employment history or degrees specifically. This is how people with 2:1 degrees can get jobs over those with 1sts. You are unlikely to get feedback from the employer at such an early stage in the application process, however if you are prepared to elaborate on the questions you were asked on the application form, others here may be able to give some tips on how to strengthen your answers.
They probably have a hundred applications and only a few places and I know this may appear wrong to you but it would look unfair if they gave all those places to people with 1st's when they only as for a 2:1.
Your application wasn't good enough. It's hard to say what exactly let you down because you haven't shared your application but maybe it was just written poorly. Experience is great but if you can't effectively convey what you did then it's of limited value.

Or as others have pointed out, maybe your application was great but they received lots of applications which were even better.
Original post by hippieglitter
They probably have a hundred applications and only a few places and I know this may appear wrong to you but it would look unfair if they gave all those places to people with 1st's when they only as for a 2:1.

Wouldn't be unfair at all. That said, some hiring managers have come out and said that they prefer people with 2:1s over 1sts because in their experience those people have been more rounded.
Original post by Student-95
Wouldn't be unfair at all. That said, some hiring managers have come out and said that they prefer people with 2:1s over 1sts because in their experience those people have been more rounded.

In other words, they are just bitter and jealous

Don't understand why?

It could be a million different reasons. We haven't seen your CV or what roles and companies you applied to, so there is nothing TSR can offer in way of answers.
I would say check your CV and covering letter I have been in many assessment centres with people older than me and more qualified than me. One assessment centre it was me (22) vs people aged 28-40 I felt like a child!

I agree with the above of applying to as many jobs as possible which you would be interested in.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest