The Student Room Group

parents want to go away in exam season

im in year 11 (meaning its my gcse year), my parents want to go on holiday in April which is the last two free weeks I will have before my exams start. unfortunately, we would go out everyday so I virtually wouldn’t have any time to revise.

this is genuinely making me more anxious and stressed. what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dont worry bro, according to reserch people that go out more do better in exams. just record ur notes, put ur headphones, airpods in and just listen to ur notes over and over again, and also stay away from drugs,alcohol and girls, as they could distract u and messed me up big time for my exams
Stay home alone
Original post by Anonymous
im in year 11 (meaning its my gcse year), my parents want to go on holiday in April which is the last two free weeks I will have before my exams start. unfortunately, we would go out everyday so I virtually wouldn’t have any time to revise.

Persuade them to go away after your exams - you need to revise and school might put on additional classes over Easter - mine does.

Have they already booked? If not, sit down and have a chat with them. In my opinion, those two weeks are really important and a lot of revision can be done then. My friend went away for the full two weeks and she was incredibly stressed out when she got home because she’d missed so much time. She did well in her exams, but staying at home could’ve resulted in less stress and better grades. Tell your parents that two weeks off after GCSEs would be more beneficial as you could fully relax but in April you won’t be able to. If they’ve already booked, have a chat anyway and see if there’s anything they can do. Xx
Revise whilst on the plane and use your phone for revision (quizlet) or take pictures of your notes and go through them at any spare moment or on the beach. Going on holiday will help you relax your brain and you will still have 4 weeks after the easter holidays to do more revision
By no means should you be going on this holiday. Either ask them to reschedule or stay behind. You'll have other holidays but getting your GSCEs first time is more important
Fgs schools put an insane amount of pressure on. Are you massively underachieving? If not then you can take a holiday and enjoy it. You will be FINE. You'll have weeks and weeks of revision at school and after. And year 11 is so intense that you will be glad of a holiday. Don't let your teachers get to you with all their threats and revision classes. You're better off managing your stress levels. GCSEs aren't even that important providing you get 5 (incl eng and maths) you'll be able to do whatever you want. And this is coming from someone who got good grades and has spent 2 years working in a high school.
My parents and I went away the April of year 11 and I just took condensed revision notes (flash cards were perfect cause they can be packed in pockets/bags easily, or having notes/quizzes on your phone). The process of condensing the notes before I went was great revision and then I was able to review them as I would have done if I had been at home. However we did do a beach holiday so didn’t have much planned during the day - if your parents are planning daily excursions then it could be more difficult. I would say don’t immediately say you can’t go but explain that you do need that time to revise and hopefully you can come to a compromise that means you can revise effectively and still go away :smile:
Original post by doodle_333
Fgs schools put an insane amount of pressure on. Are you massively underachieving? If not then you can take a holiday and enjoy it. You will be FINE. You'll have weeks and weeks of revision at school and after. And year 11 is so intense that you will be glad of a holiday. Don't let your teachers get to you with all their threats and revision classes. You're better off managing your stress levels. GCSEs aren't even that important providing you get 5 (incl eng and maths) you'll be able to do whatever you want. And this is coming from someone who got good grades and has spent 2 years working in a high school.

"as long as you get 5" lmao. Maybe if you want to get into Bolton University then yh. But for the high end courses and top unis youre gonna be competing with people who have 11 9's (11 A*s). I did
"as long as you get 5" lmao. Maybe if you want to get into Bolton University then yh. But for the high end courses and top unis youre gonna be competing with people who have 11 9's (11 A*s). I did

Unis are far more concerned with a levels. Unless OP is aiming for Oxbridge or medicine then getting a couple of b's (or even c) won't matter. And if they are they should be smart enough to breeze through GCSEs.

I went to a good uni having got two B grades at GCSE. My partner has a PhD from a very good uni despite having a couple of C grades. I know plenty of others who got into high unis with average GCSEs.

A few years back schools weren't doing all this crazy stuff with people revising for 6 months every night, in every day at Easter and no study leave. It's not healthy. If Op wants a holiday they should go and enjoy it.

Having a different environment to revise in can some times be a lot better for your mental health because you will be relaxed and not stressed out as much
My parents are making me go away in May half term RIP

That is a PHAT rip ngl
Original post by student4656789
My parents are making me go away in May half term RIP
Apparently its an 'exam break'... It feels like im voluntarily throwing my revision in the bin loool
Original post by 1weaver11
That is a PHAT rip ngl
Mood like my mum was like oh do you wanna go on holiday I was like yh that would be cool just us two then she books it for may ON MY EXAM DAY I was like um no hunny :biggrin:
Apparently its an 'exam break'... It feels like im voluntarily throwing my revision in the bin loool
Mood like my mum was like oh do you wanna go on holiday I was like yh that would be cool just us two then she books it for may ON MY EXAM DAY I was like um no hunny :biggrin:

pray for us :h:
pray for us :h:

lol can you private chat on this ?
Reply 18
lol can you private chat on this ?

Yeah, you can private message (PM) people. Just go on the person you want to message's profile and the option should be there.
I’m not even going to university open days over the Easter hols, let alone a holiday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending