How to get an A at AS level? Watch

Sara-JaneCarter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi can a former A/A* Alevel Chem,Bio,Physics and Economics student give me advice on how to get As in my AS level year.

I got 9s,8s and 7s at GCSE.

I would appreciate it as I want to get into medicine.

It would be much appreciated.

Thank you all xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an A in AS Biology and a high grade B in AS Chemistry. They were school exams, but I would have probably got all A's if it were the official AS exams. This is what I did:

Biology
I learn the content from here first and check if it covers all the content from my textbook. I add some more detail to it (the 'HowScienceWorks' boxes that we all skip ) and then learn that too.

After doing that, all I do is PRACTICE QUESTIONS as I believe that this is the key to Biology as there are soo many application questions. I write down the questions that I got wrong and memorise them to prevent me from making that mistake in the future.
I memorise the Mark Scheme for as many questions as possible, as similar questions in biology will have an overlapping mark scheme which expects certain key words and won't give you the marks unless you state those 'exact words'.
I once lost marks for describing some equipment as 'accurate' but I got it wrong because the mark scheme only accepted the word 'precise'.

Where I get my Biology practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Chemistry
This subject is actually the easiest and most straight-forward one to revise for. LITERALLY, the only studying I do is memorising the Chemrevise revision notes and then doing past paper questions. The AQA Chemistry questions are soo repetitive so memorising mark schemes helps a lot! I also note down the questions I got wrong and learn the mark schemes to them.

Where I get my Chemistry practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):
Last edited by Infinite Series; 1 month ago
RickHendricks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From someone who got 5 As at AS level with Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics:

Chemistry:
Make sure you memorise the colour changes and conditions for the inorganic analysis and organic analysis.
Know the main CONCEPTS
Do tons of past papers.

Physics:
Make sure you know the concepts.
Memorise the entire particle physics.
Know the practicals like the back of your hand.
Tons of past papers.

Biology:
Notes and notes
Memorise everything in a good way.
Tons of past papers.

I only had stable notes for Biology. For physics and chemistry it was more of a do and throw away method.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.38%
No, but I want to start (110)
37.16%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.62%
No, I chose not to (79)
26.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise