The Student Room Group

Do people have a duty to follow their parents religion/culture?

Personally I don't think so. I don't think these things should be forced upon you. You should live your own life, and just be a good person. Just wondering what the opinions on this is?
Title: No
Definitely not!
Absolutely not. We live in a free society - one should be themselves, not a younger clone of their parents.
If you live in a religious house or a house with lots of culture, chances are it will become part of your life.
(edited 5 years ago)
A duty? No.

But lots of people do follow their parents culturally and if parents are religious, then yeah, they will often follow that too.

Part of growing up is figuring things out for yourself and sometimes that's going to mean having different ideas to your parents about things.
Reply 6
Everyone should be able to believe what they want and not have religion forced onto then by anyone without permission and even so everyone knows deep down what they truly believe even if the outside is a lie and surely for any thiestic religions a god would know how you truly felt, and for non thiestic then you know how you truly feel.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A duty? No.

But lots of people do follow their parents culturally and if parents are religious, then yeah, they will often follow that too.

Part of growing up is figuring things out for yourself and sometimes that's going to mean having different ideas to your parents about things.

True, but some parents get butthurt if you don't follow their religion/culture and might end up disowning you, so I feel often some sort of compromise has to be made if you still want some sort of relationship.
Of course not. Some cultures and religions are very oppressive, hence why a lot of kids end up not following them when they’re adults.
Everyone is raised according to how your parents raise you. Religious, things like vegan/vegetarian etc, political views - But do we have a duty to follow them? No. You can make your own judgements when you’re old enough to realise that. But it’s always worth bearing in mind that we’ve been swayed. Many Christians today for example wouldn’t be if they hadn’t been raised like it. You believe what you’ve been brought up with generally, but you’re free to question it.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Everyone is raised according to how your parents raise you. Religious, things like vegan/vegetarian etc, political views - But do we have a duty to follow them? No. You can make your own judgements when you’re old enough to realise that. But it’s always worth bearing in mind that we’ve been swayed. Many Christians today for example wouldn’t be if they hadn’t been raised like it. You believe what you’ve been brought up with generally, but you’re free to question it.

I agree, I'm believe differently to my mother and my school upbringing and tend to think very differently about ethical issues as I can't help but see it from both sides even if the obviously wrong side only has a tiny bit of good. It's just what you believe in and if people were brought up in different religions theres a good chance they would believe differently. If everyone was brought away from religion completely or all in the same religion, I wonder how many would stray from everyone else though🤔
(edited 5 years ago)
Reality is parents will teach the things they deem right to the child. As the child gets older and more independent then whether these teachings stick is down to the child in question. If parents continue to enforce their beliefs on the child past the point where the child is capable of making their own decisions then that’s an issue. Otherwise it’s down to the individual.
No at all. Parents have the right to teach their children their beliefs, but as soon as they start questioning them - which they will - they owe them a better discussion than "because it is" which is what lots of parents do. And as soon as young people decide they no longer want to attend church, that decision should be respected.

If parents have beliefs, they should provide their children with enough information for them to make up their own mind when they're old enough.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
No at all. Parents have the right to teach their children their beliefs, but as soon as they start questioning them - which they will - they owe them a better discussion than "because it is" which is what lots of parents do. And as soon as young people decide they no longer want to attend church, that decision should be respected.

If parents have beliefs, they should provide their children with enough information for them to make up their own mind when they're old enough.

I agree wholeheartedly, that's sensible parenting if they give adequated impartial information then let their child decide when they're old enough. You can't choose your parents so it's wrong that you then have to agree with them on everything by default, but then some parents are very good at emotionally blackmailing their children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending