I suffer from BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder), AMA Watch

FredMadison
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
For those who do not know what BDD is:

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distinct mental disorder in which a person is preoccupied with an imagined physical defect or a minor defect that others often cannot see. As a result, people with this disorder see themselves as "ugly" and often avoid social exposure or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance."
Sinnerd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you have been in a relationship, how did you 'deal' with your partner complimenting you?
FredMadison
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnerd)
If you have been in a relationship, how did you 'deal' with your partner complimenting you?
I haven't got into a relationship. I actually take compliments well but might make excuses for them in my head.

For example, if some guy is like "you look like a model" or w.e. I might rationalize that I'm actually hideous and men just don't see the flaws. Or if a girl says so, I might rationalize that she's crazy or had drank too much or is weird or w.e. Other times though I actually find myself to look quite nice so believe the comments more... This opinion can quickly change and I can become suicidal about my face following very minor events, even if I had spent the rest of that day feeling very pleased with it.

Certainly if people compliment certain features I think it's total ********, like if someone says I have nice eyes, I definitely don't believe that. I'm just like "thanks " but internally just think they're desperate or something and making stuff up to try and pull me.
Last edited by FredMadison; 7 months ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Don't most people think they are ugly though?
FredMadison
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Yes but it's beyond just that for me. I used to spend multiple hours per day looking in the mirror, have had countless cosmetic procedures, and considered suicide due to my appearance many times.

In the past I would physically shake in public sometimes because I felt so uncomfortable with people seeing my ugly face. I would also go out of my way and cross a road just so a passerby or oncoming cars would only see my better side. Same on trains or w.e. I would only sit on specific sides where people would only see the side of my face I prefer.
Last edited by FredMadison; 7 months ago
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Same but I think I learned to ignore it
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
This is very different. I will be watching the thread because I relate to this. Completely controls my life.

OP, what treatment have you had to help with the disorder and how would you say it's gone?
FredMadison
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pachuco)
This is very different. I will be watching the thread because I relate to this. Completely controls my life.

OP, what treatment have you had to help with the disorder and how would you say it's gone?
Well the main treatment is that I got LOTS of cosmetic stuff done to myself to help me feel better about how I look. I've been banned for 3 months from getting any more cosmetic procedures by one doctor because I've had so many and pretty much turned up there every other week for more.

I legit want to go back now though, srs LOL. It's actually difficult for me to wait until March to get more procedures.

The other treatment is unexpected. I started taking Zoloft for anxiety, and it reduced the OCD thoughts about my face quite dramatically.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How did you get diagnosed?
Krisis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FredMadison)
Well the main treatment is that I got LOTS of cosmetic stuff done to myself to help me feel better about how I look. I've been banned for 3 months from getting any more cosmetic procedures by one doctor because I've had so many and pretty much turned up there every other week for more.

I legit want to go back now though, srs LOL. It's actually difficult for me to wait until March to get more procedures.

The other treatment is unexpected. I started taking Zoloft for anxiety, and it reduced the OCD thoughts about my face quite dramatically.
What kind of procedures? and how the **** can you afford them?
FredMadison
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
How did you get diagnosed?
I went to a psych about anxiety in general (something I suffer from), but this led to discussing specific extreme anxiety about my physical appearance etc. etc.

I am also diagnosed with anxiety/depression btw, but I swear everyone is diagnosed with that.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
OP if you wanna talk more about this you can always pm me. I honestly know how you feel because I think I have BDD too.

Here are some fairly easy things to do that work for me. No need for drastic things, When I do those I tend to feel good about my appearance:

Get a fresh haircut very frequently, once a week or so
Get stronger in the gym. Doesn’t matter what exercise, even some isolation movement, it will make you feel better. Even if you don’t see the gains in the mirror with time(cause of BDD), think that a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle, thus you must have made progress
Always have clear skin, so have a good skincare routine at all times
Wear your favourite clothes more often
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I went to a psych about anxiety in general (something I suffer from), but this led to discussing specific extreme anxiety about my physical appearance etc. etc.

I am also diagnosed with anxiety/depression btw, but I swear everyone is diagnosed with that.
haha
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is this something that you made up an hour ago
FredMadison
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
OP if you wanna talk more about this you can always pm me. I honestly know how you feel because I think I have BDD too.

Here are some fairly easy things to do that work for me. No need for drastic things, When I do those I tend to feel good about my appearance:

Get a fresh haircut very frequently, once a week or so
Get stronger in the gym. Doesn’t matter what exercise, even some isolation movement, it will make you feel better. Even if you don’t see the gains in the mirror with time(cause of BDD), think that a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle, thus you must have made progress
Always have clear skin, so have a good skincare routine at all times
Wear your favourite clothes more often
Yeah I like to get a haircut every other week ideally, these things can be helpful. Although when I have a breakdown about my looks I'm often too depressed to go to the gym.

Bad breakdowns can put me out of the gym for up to 2 weeks and I'll either eat barely anything or gorge on junk food and whatever else.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
shameful_burrito lol knew u'd be in hurr
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah I like to get a haircut every other week ideally, these things can be helpful. Although when I have a breakdown about my looks I'm often too depressed to go to the gym.

Bad breakdowns can put me out of the gym for up to 2 weeks and I'll either eat barely anything or gorge on junk food and snort amphetamines and benzos and Ritalin and inject tren and whatever else.
That's not good man. But I get what you mean. I believe in you though, next time you get a breakdown just try your hardest to push through it and go to the gym anyways. Take it all out on the weights. And about the food, try to have a consistent diet. I know this advice is what most people would tell you, but it's what needs to be done for your mental and physical wellbeing

And about the tren and other anabolics, be careful with that stuff. I'm sure tren gives great results but it can also be pretty dangerous
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Thanks for the reply.

How has it affected relationships? Romantic ones I mean.
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do you know what causes it?

and :hugs: I find you brave for sharing. I didn't even know what this was
Maid Marian
Report 7 months ago
I was/am the same, although I don't like to refer to it as BDD because I am very aware of what I look like and I just don't like it. I've found that as your life gets busier, you just can't spend time worrying about what you look like. It's really easy to get caught up in that thinking during school, but once you're working, it just gets forced to the back of your mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (125)
13.28%
Excited (90)
9.56%
Worried (181)
19.23%
Terrified (212)
22.53%
Meh (70)
7.44%
Confused (26)
2.76%