I suffer from BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder), AMA Watch

FredMadison
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Pachuco)
Thanks for the reply.

How has it affected relationships? Romantic ones I mean.
Helpful because all the cosmetic procedures and obsession with my appearance made me more attractive.

Unhelpful because I don't feel worthy of anyone attractive and act weird around them.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Jheeeee33ze
elpresidente90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FredMadison)
For those who do not know what BDD is:

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distinct mental disorder in which a person is preoccupied with an imagined physical defect or a minor defect that others often cannot see. As a result, people with this disorder see themselves as "ugly" and often avoid social exposure or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance."
Will you please consider that you are wrong, that you are a very valuable, special person, and that you deserve all the happiness the world has to offer
FredMadison
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by elpresidente90)
Will you please consider that you are wrong, that you are a very valuable, special person, and that you deserve all the happiness the world has to offer
No I cannot, I only feel okay with myself for a period after I've had cosmetic procedures performed.

If I look bad to myself in the mirror, I legitimately feel DIRTY no matter how clean I am. Like how you might feel leaving the house without having showered in a week with gross unkempt hair and not shaved. Exact same feeling. I'm legitimately uncomfortable to be out in public.

Then I get more procedures to fix the thing which is making me feel dirty (which might be, for example, a slope on my nose).

Sometimes I enjoy the way I look after having stuff done to myself, then feel good about my looks for a while. Although it's very shakey and if, for example, even one girl is not interested in me, I may melt down and think I'm deformed again. I may also melt down if I see a guy who looks better than me, be it in real life, or sometimes even on TV comparing myself to them.
Last edited by FredMadison; 7 months ago
elpresidente90
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FredMadison)
No I cannot, I only feel okay with myself for a period after I've had cosmetic procedures performed.

If I look bad to myself in the mirror, I legitimately feel DIRTY no matter how clean I am. Like how you might feel leaving the house without having showered in a week with gross unkempt hair and not shaved. Exact same feeling. I'm legitimately uncomfortable to be out in public.

Then I get more procedures to fix the thing which is making me feel dirty (which might be, for example, a slope on my nose).

Sometimes I enjoy the way I look after having stuff done to myself, then feel good about my looks for a while. Although it's very shakey and if, for example, even one girl is not interested in me, I may melt down and think I'm deformed again. I may also melt down if I see a guy who looks better than me, be it in real life, or sometimes even on TV comparing myself to them.
Will you accept that I THINK you are a valuable, special person who deserves all the happiness in the world?
Esmerelda1555
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pachuco)
Thanks for the reply.

How has it affected relationships? Romantic ones I mean.
I have BDD and severe OCD and it got worse with my boyfriend throughout our relationship. It was tough at first (arguments), but I found explaining my thought processes in general about myself / explaining how I can't control myself during a panic attack really helps. He has been SO supportive to understand and know what is best for the certain situation.

Although - If i was single now (as it has worsened) god knows how I would ever get into dating or begin a relationship... it definitely puts a strain and especially if the other person does not understand!
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you, can relate.

(Original post by Esmerelda1555)
I have BDD and severe OCD and it got worse with my boyfriend throughout our relationship. It was tough at first (arguments), but I found explaining my thought processes in general about myself / explaining how I can't control myself during a panic attack really helps. He has been SO supportive to understand and know what is best for the certain situation.

Although - If i was single now (as it has worsened) god knows how I would ever get into dating or begin a relationship... it definitely puts a strain and especially if the other person does not understand!7
elpresidente90
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hoping everyone with BDD gets the love, support, help and acceptance they need and deserve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%