Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am interested to know the thoughts of medical students and doctors on this. I am aware that people from all ages can do medicine and succeed but I want to hear from people that started medicine at a later age what they think were the difficulties and also the pros regarding doing a medicine degree at an older age. Obviously, the older students are more likely to have children so that could have made things harder, so if it makes the discussion easier, we don't need to mention the children factor.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not done it myself - but know lots of current junior doctors who started later in their careers - some from nursing; some from other fields completely. None of them regret it. I think being at uni can be a little more isolating because you don't identify much with your younger peers - but hopefully by that age you have a lot more interests to fulfil you than "top bants" init. Once you start work the playing field pretty much evens out again and you spend a lot of time with your colleagues and seem to enjoy it.

Also know one consultant who worked in his field for a couple of decades, retired, then came out of retirement to re-train as a GP. Which means being an SHO again for a little while!!!
TomSmith12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey! I'm in undergrad medicine (I'm 19) and there are plenty of mature students in our course! I imagine graduate entry is full of more mature people so I wouldn't stress at all
wl1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mr Optimist)
I am interested to know the thoughts of medical students and doctors on this. I am aware that people from all ages can do medicine and succeed but I want to hear from people that started medicine at a later age what they think were the difficulties and also the pros regarding doing a medicine degree at an older age. Obviously, the older students are more likely to have children so that could have made things harder, so if it makes the discussion easier, we don't need to mention the children factor.
I'm 28 and I'm in the 2nd year of a 5 year course. There are a decent number of other grads and mature students in my year.

The main difficulty for me was going from having a job and disposable income to having to be careful with money. The degree itself is also fairly intense so it took me a while to get back into full time education and being able to study efficiently.

Pros are you get to do the job you want. You'll get a good 20-30 year career out of it if you want.
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
(Original post by wl1)
I'm 28 and I'm in the 2nd year of a 5 year course. There are a decent number of other grads and mature students in my year.

The main difficulty for me was going from having a job and disposable income to having to be careful with money. The degree itself is also fairly intense so it took me a while to get back into full time education and being able to study efficiently.

Pros are you get to do the job you want. You'll get a good 20-30 year career out of it if you want.
Thank you very much for your comment. I am 25 myself and a qualified pharmacist. In theory, I could work as a pharmacist when I study. My main plan however is to own my own business in next 2 years and then use the income from that to help pay for medical school.

I am very happy to see more of my fellow mature students doing medicine
Last edited by Mr Optimist; 9 months ago
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Not done it myself - but know lots of current junior doctors who started later in their careers - some from nursing; some from other fields completely. None of them regret it. I think being at uni can be a little more isolating because you don't identify much with your younger peers - but hopefully by that age you have a lot more interests to fulfil you than "top bants" init. Once you start work the playing field pretty much evens out again and you spend a lot of time with your colleagues and seem to enjoy it.

Also know one consultant who worked in his field for a couple of decades, retired, then came out of retirement to re-train as a GP. Which means being an SHO again for a little while!!!
Thank you for your comment. Yes it seems it is actually common to see mature people doing medicine. I was more worried about energy levels and whether an older student would have the energy to tackle the course. But actually it seems the mature students handle the course fine, in part due to their maturity and experience in past degrees.
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomSmith12345)
Hey! I'm in undergrad medicine (I'm 19) and there are plenty of mature students in our course! I imagine graduate entry is full of more mature people so I wouldn't stress at all
Thank you Tom for your reassurance. I wish you all the best in your course, and I hope you ace medical school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads