The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Medicine in Malta

I have a number of questions about the Medicine course offered by Queen Mary University medical school in Malta:

1. At the end of the course, do students receive the same certificate (qualification) that those studying medicine in the actual university in London?

2. Does the qualification received, after finishing the course, allow me to work in the UK as a doctor?

3. Why is the course code for medicine in Malta (A110) different than that in London (A100)?

4. Why is the course duration 5 years whereas most other universities offer medicine courses for 6 years?

If you can answer any of these question I would be endlessly grateful and over the moon. Many thanks in advance :smile:
Hey, i don't study at qmul malta, but i have been doing my research to apply for 2020 entry!

1. At the end of the course, do students receive the same certificate (qualification) that those studying medicine in the actual university in London?
Yes, it is accredited from the university! It says the same thing on the certificate. But on the transcript, all it say is location: malta

2. Does the qualification received, after finishing the course, allow me to work in the UK as a doctor?
this is the GMC report: https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/dc-10772-vis-barts-and-the-london-malta-mbbs-report_pdf-75823579.pdf, this is what the university will ensure https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/malta/gmc/

3. Why is the course code for medicine in Malta (A110) different than that in London (A100)?
it is because it is aboard malta course, so when applying on ucas, you use the A110 for the qmul malta course and A101 for graduate entry medicine in qmul and A100 for normal 5 years in london
4. Why is the course duration 5 years whereas most other universities offer medicine courses for 6 years?

This is because, it is the same curriculum taught in england that is taught in malta, and it's 5 years. Most degrees in england are 5 years.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Looks good to me - East End of London or Sunny Malta is no contest - and same Barts degree!
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
1) Yes the school says the qualification does not differ to that which the London based students are given unless you want an EU specific degree.2) If you have the right to live and work in the UK, then yes you are added to the list along with the london students for consideration to the UKFPO.3)Different application procedures i guess. UCAS application for A100 and direct aplication for A1104) Most medical courses in the UK are 5 years not 6
Reply 5
how would you pay your fees though
If the course is the same, do they allow students to transfer between the Malta course and the in one?
Original post by Judy ugwuja
If the course is the same, do they allow students to transfer between the Malta course and the in one?

Apparently some of the London students wind up doing electives at the Malta campus, but I'm not sure about transfers. Bear in mind that the Malta course is much more expensive (tuition fees are €19,500 per year for 2019 entry, according to the website).

When I went to the QMUL open day, the staff at the Malta stand were really friendly and approachable. I'd suggest emailing them if you have any specific queries that we can't answer on here :smile:
Reply 8
Hey guys I am an international student from Pakistan intending to study medicine at Barts Malta. I want to know that is it a public university or private? Also, how’s is it in terms of extracurriculars? Are there Asian
/Pakistani societies? Thanks.

Latest