Is scoliosis my fault? Did I worsen or cause it? Watch

priest3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I want to know if scoliosis is my fault or not. I've had underweight of 55 kg for a year or so at 17 or 18 yesrs due to anxiety and psychosis and mental health problems and I'm male.
Then at 19 years they found a 20° S curve scoliosis. Is that the cause of my underweight? I'm 21 now and my weight is very normal.

Did I worsen my scoliosis? Maybe I only had 5° and through underweight and poor sitting positions it worsened to 20°? Is scoliosis my fault? Could it have all been prevented?

Did I worsen or cause my scoliosis through underweight and bad sitting positions and bad posture?
I asked my doctor and he said he doesn't know if it's my fault because it's idiopathic scoliosis. But I want to hear your opinions! Thanks.
krevans
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by priest3)
Hi, I want to know if scoliosis is my fault or not. I've had underweight of 55 kg for a year or so at 17 or 18 yesrs due to anxiety and psychosis and mental health problems and I'm male.
Then at 19 years they found a 20° S curve scoliosis. Is that the cause of my underweight? I'm 21 now and my weight is very normal.

Did I worsen my scoliosis? Maybe I only had 5° and through underweight and poor sitting positions it worsened to 20°? Is scoliosis my fault? Could it have all been prevented?

Did I worsen or cause my scoliosis through underweight and bad sitting positions and bad posture?
I asked my doctor and he said he doesn't know if it's my fault because it's idiopathic scoliosis. But I want to hear your opinions! Thanks.
No it is not your fault I am a female I got scoliosis @ 13 or 14 and I had surgery on it my spine was 65 degrees and it happens because of puberty and sometimes because of stress (which is not your fault) and sometimes if you break something in your back it will cause it.
SikhSikh
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, not your fault.
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have very mild scoliosis , and no it;s not ur fault
priest3
Rep:
?
Haha thank you guys, that's all I wanted to know! If anyone else wants to confirm this, please do.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, it's hereditary
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by priest3)
Haha thank you guys, that's all I wanted to know! If anyone else wants to confirm this, please do.
Just confirming it isnt your fault and is 1 of those things that can happen to anyone male or female, underweight or overweight
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Might help if you do research on posture and exercises you can do to combat poor posture (maybe there are exercises specific to your condition?). It's a complicated subject. There are many different small muscles all over your body that can become tight from over use or weak from under use, which can drastically affect other parts of your body.

Not your fault though, the way society is setup forces you to sit down all day and ruin your posture etc.

I don't have scolliosis but I have loads of annoying posture problems that I actively work on with exercises and stretching. It's because I sit in front of a PC all everyday.

One thing I found out recently is that even the resting position of your tongue will effect the position of your teeth, jaw, and muscles around your neck etc. it's a chain reaction effect. I started consciously changing the resting position of my tongue to be on the roof of my mouth and it straightened out all of my teeth lol.
Last edited by ChickenMadness; 9 months ago
priest3
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the support.

Does that mean nothing I did worsened my scoliosis? There is nothing I did wrong to develop scoliosis? And it was not preventable regardless of what I would had done? So my scoliosis was not worsened by my actions any bit? Just need to clarify this.
username4398372
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Stop worrying. It’s not your fault hun x
priest3
Rep:
?
Okay, thanks for telling.
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It's not your fault, even with good posture it does happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads