The Student Room Group

Cheap Young Drivers Insurance

Hey guys,

So 2 weeks ago I passed my driving exam and I was so excited to start driving a car until I found out the prices of the insurance per year. I would just want to know some advice, tips or even companies that offer good insurance rates per year.

What will be cheaper? For my parents to sign me on or to get a new car and start fresh by myself?

(btw I'm 18)

Some details about my parent's car:
Vaxhaul Astra
1.4 litre engine
5 doors
Second hand - value of £800

Any help, advice and etc would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply 1
It would be cheaper to sign onto your parents intially but it depends on what you'll be using the car for. If you need it a lot then get your own car, cheap and old but functional and small engine, 1000cc is best. If you'll continue using the car at uni or work for the next year's then Def do that as you'll be able to build up a no claims. If you'll be off to uni it's unlikely you'll keep your car and will then lose no claims so not really worth it, go on parents insurance. Last year I had a 1.2l car, first year of passing and aged 17, car js 10urs old and my insurance was £1200 black box with more than. This year I'm on my mum's and sold my car, ££500 as an add on, this may be slightly higher for you. But if you get your own put a parent on your insurance, this took mine down nearly £509 and the black box by £1000. It not restricting and tbh it makes up the driving reports as it goes along. I did the same journey every day at the same time of day for a year and usually the same amount of traffic and some weeks I'd get all 10/10 on each category and the some days I get 10/10 on two categories and -9.4/10 on say speed. I never broke a speed limit and Def did not drive so drastically differently from day to day that my smoothness was perfect but speed was incredibly dangerous.
Reply 2
Original post by thatguyZero
Hey guys,

So 2 weeks ago I passed my driving exam and I was so excited to start driving a car until I found out the prices of the insurance per year. I would just want to know some advice, tips or even companies that offer good insurance rates per year.

What will be cheaper? For my parents to sign me on or to get a new car and start fresh by myself?

(btw I'm 18)

Some details about my parent's car:
Vaxhaul Astra
1.4 litre engine
5 doors
Second hand - value of £800

Any help, advice and etc would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Without doing a quote, we can't give you an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending