Braces on nhs, over 18 + student

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I’ve been on a waiting list for orthodontic treatment for a year in my home town, I’m now 18 and I’ve moved out for uni. So I’ve missed the free cut off point, I’ve heard if you fill out the HC1/2 forms you can get dental treatment on the nhs. I have a deep overbite, that’s lead to me being too embarrassed to smile with teeth. I think it’s caused me to have tooth decay too. I can’t afford braces rn because I’m a student, what are the chances of me getting them done for free, thanks
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is from the NHS website:

“NHS orthodontic treatment is free for people under the age of 18 with a clear health need for treatment. But because of high demand, there can be a long waiting list.

NHS orthodontic care isn't usually available for adults, but may be approved on a case-by-case basis if needed for health reasons.

A rating system known as the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) is used to assess your eligibility for NHS treatment. The British Orthodontic Society's website has more information about the different grades used for the IOTN.

NHS treatment is available for grade 4 and grade 5 cases. Grade 3 cases are usually judged on an individual basis. Treatment may also be made available if the appearance of a person's teeth, jaw or face is of concern.”

TL;DR - so it’s going to depend on how severe your orthodontic problems are. They will have to be classified as a grade 4 or grade 5, or potentially a grade 3, for you to qualify for free NHS treatment.

You should note though that they’ll only treat you if you have good oral hygiene. If you already have tooth decay, they might not treat you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads