The Student Room Group

Losing a parent -the effects of it.

Losing a parent. Do you think it can have quite a psychological affect on you without you noticing?
Not really. My father died when I was 16. Made me grow up but overall not a harmful experience for my mental health.
well yeah obviously, especially if you loved them dearly

it wouldn't be without noticing though. it would be very obvious
Reply 3
My mother died when I was 7, no effects from that.
Reply 4
Asking that question as I lost a parent at a young age and as I grew up I didn’t feel like it affected me as much but now I am older I feel like it is drastically, and effecting my mental health. Maybe because when I was younger I didn’t fully understand death? I don’t know but it really can have serious affects on people
Reply 5
Also when I say without noticing - since I was young everyone has always said I have no emotion, I never show any sort of emotion, which quite frankly I find difficult and now I’m thinking it’s because of losing a parent and no one ever speaking to me about it
Original post by Bio 7
My mother died when I was 7, no effects from that.

Bull, we are both social rejects. No effect?
Reply 7
Original post by Big_Daymo
Bull, we are both social rejects. No effect?

It didn’t affect me, I was socially odd even before it. An alcoholic parent doesn’t really boost your social side.
Original post by Bio 7
It didn’t affect me, I was socially odd even before it. An alcoholic parent doesn’t really boost your social side.

Ok, if she wasn’t an alky and was normal (although that basically is the new normal), you’d be the same emotionally? You wouldn’t be.
Reply 9
Ok, if she wasn’t an alky and was normal (although that basically is the new normal), you’d be the same emotionally? You wouldn’t be.

Go train in psychology then evaluate me, I can’t see how there was any effect on me. Maybe you are suffering an effect from loss but speak for yourself.
Original post by Bio 7
Go train in psychology then evaluate me, I can’t see how there was any effect on me. Maybe you are suffering an effect from loss but speak for yourself.

Fine, I believe it made me less social and more nervous as a person due to the lack of pressure to build a social circle of friends inside and outside of school, as said pressure usually stems from the mother (lowkey don’t blame dad though, I wouldn’t be arsed to set up cringey weird friendships for my stupid kids). You happy now mr emotional terminator?
Reply 11
Fine, I believe it made me less social and more nervous as a person due to the lack of pressure to build a social circle of friends inside and outside of school, as said pressure usually stems from the mother (lowkey don’t blame dad though, I wouldn’t be arsed to set up cringey weird friendships for my stupid kids). You happy now mr emotional terminator?

Maybe you got more messed up than I thought, you sound a bit deranged.
Original post by Bio 7
Maybe you got more messed up than I thought, you sound a bit deranged.

Self reflection is deranged? Next you’ll say the earth is round or some other crazy thing 😂😂😂. Na it’s true though, but oh well, it’s done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending