Why do abused children (10yrs) still want contact with their abusive parent (Mother)

Watch
Helgonmerser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like sign posting to credible research as to why my daughter would still want contact with her mother, who has abused her physically and emotionally, after she has been removed to safety. There has to be a mechanism within her brain which is triggered by a chemical or social stimuli, for this to happen. She is seeing her Mother for a couple of hours a week now and has supervision during this time, which she wants to happen but not be alone with her Mother. The social worker involved is trying to use this behaviour of needing to see her mother against my daughter in the sence of '' she can't be that scared of her then''. I know there is a real cradible reason for what I have asked but I can't find it online. All you comments will be most welcome, but please if you can sign post me to the research that backs this up. I will answer all questions as the thread progresses. Thank you.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Helgonmerser)
I would like sign posting to credible research as to why my daughter would still want contact with her mother, who has abused her physically and emotionally, after she has been removed to safety. There has to be a mechanism within her brain which is triggered by a chemical or social stimuli, for this to happen. She is seeing her Mother for a couple of hours a week now and has supervision during this time, which she wants to happen but not be alone with her Mother. The social worker involved is trying to use this behaviour of needing to see her mother against my daughter in the sence of '' she can't be that scared of her then''. I know there is a real cradible reason for what I have asked but I can't find it online. All you comments will be most welcome, but please if you can sign post me to the research that backs this up. I will answer all questions as the thread progresses. Thank you.
You can still love a person even if they abuse you. You won't find a 'scientific' explanation for this, lmao.
Helgonmerser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was hoping that there was some kind of Stockholm syndrome explanation for this, something I could then work on at home with her to help build what ever needs building back up with her. Just to be clear to the readers, I am not looking for a way to stop her seeing her Mother. I was the one who actively encouraged the contact even though the mother didn't really want to under the current restrictions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed