Referee can’t supply predicted grades Watch

giuliacanuh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone!
I am an Italian student wishing to attend a Politics and International Relations course in the UK.
The referee I chose to write my reference is my last employer. Since she is not in any way involved in the school enviroment, she obviously couldn’t enter the predicted grades that are needed for my application to be actually considered by the universities I chose (Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen)
I’ve contacted one of my teachers and she can give a grade prediction, but how will she be able to do so? Can she send a document separated from the UCAS application to the universities?
UCAS already sent me an email, where they explain that not having predicted grades could hinder my chances to be made an offer.
Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and could explain what they did? I have already contacted all unis via email, but their offices will reopen on January 3rd. I really need reassurances, since I don’t want my application to be binned.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by giuliacanuh)
Hello everyone!
I am an Italian student wishing to attend a Politics and International Relations course in the UK.
The referee I chose to write my reference is my last employer. Since she is not in any way involved in the school enviroment, she obviously couldn’t enter the predicted grades that are needed for my application to be actually considered by the universities I chose (Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen)
I’ve contacted one of my teachers and she can give a grade prediction, but how will she be able to do so? Can she send a document separated from the UCAS application to the universities?
UCAS already sent me an email, where they explain that not having predicted grades could hinder my chances to be made an offer.
Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and could explain what they did? I have already contacted all unis via email, but their offices will reopen on January 3rd. I really need reassurances, since I don’t want my application to be binned.
Your application will not be rejected for lacking predicted grades.

If your universities need predictions then they’ll contact you directly after you apply to ask for them.
giuliacanuh
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

If your universities need predictions then they’ll contact you directly after you apply to ask for them.
At first I thought that what you said could’ve been true, but I’ll paste a paragraph from the Entry Requirements section of the University of Edinburgh:
“Without predicted grades we cannot assess your application fully and it is very unlikely to be considered in the selection process.”
It sounds like they will bin my application straightaway, doesn’t it?
giuliacanuh
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

At first I thought that what you said could’ve been true, but I’ll paste a paragraph from the Entry Requirements section of the University of Edinburgh:
“Without predicted grades we cannot assess your application fully and it is very unlikely to be considered in the selection process.”

I’m actually considering to delete my UCAS profile, create another one and start from scratch, so that I can select a teacher as referee.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I’m actually considering to delete my UCAS profile, create another one and start from scratch, so that I can select a teacher as referee.
You have predicted grades though. They’re just not on your ucas application. Ring Edinburgh on Wednesday and ask whether the paragraph you quoted is applicable to non uk applicants and if so whether they will accept a supplementary reference provided to them directly with predictions.
giuliacanuh
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You have predicted grades though. They’re just not on your ucas application. Ring Edinburgh on Wednesday and ask whether the paragraph you quoted is applicable to non uk applicants and if so whether they will accept a supplementary reference provided to them directly with predictions.
The paragraph I quoted specifically applies to Italian applicants - I didn’t mention that I got it from the Entry Requirements section for Italian applicants. I will contact (I’ve actually already emailed) all my choices to make sure that they will accept predicted grades sent by a person different from my referee, separately from the UCAS application, even though I highly doubt they will.
Otherwise, what else could I do, since the reference has already been completed and is therefore not amendable?
Last edited by giuliacanuh; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to restart your application then you will need to ring ucas so they can wipe your application/reference. You would then need to rearrange for your referee to add your reference again- this time including your predictions.
CeeJay23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
get your teacher to email all your uni's with the predicted grades before the 15th jan deadline, with your UCAS number and degree you applied for. it will then be added to your application. no need to delete it. this should be all subjects you are studying atm and overall score for your qualification
giuliacanuh
Rep:
?
(Original post by CeeJay23)
get your teacher to email all your uni's with the predicted grades before the 15th jan deadline, with your UCAS number and degree you applied for. it will then be added to your application. no need to delete it. this should be all subjects you are studying atm and overall score for your qualification
Thank you very much for your answer! I wonder how they will add it to my current application..
And I really hope they will see the additional part and consider it!
CeeJay23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your answer! I wonder how they will add it to my current application..
And I really hope they will see the additional part and consider it!
on UCAS you can't upload docs but usually on the uni side they can upload documents
abdulzeeedo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The paragraph I quoted specifically applies to Italian applicants - I didn’t mention that I got it from the Entry Requirements section for Italian applicants. I will contact (I’ve actually already emailed) all my choices to make sure that they will accept predicted grades sent by a person different from my referee, separately from the UCAS application, even though I highly doubt they will.
Otherwise, what else could I do, since the reference has already been completed and is therefore not amendable?
They will, as long as it is sent from an official email, something ending with @[schoolname].gov.it
Also, if you are still struggling to get your predicted grades, ask your parents to get involved. Or if even that does not work, simply send your last year's (quarta pagella finale) grades or last semester's results (pagellino).
For your Esame di Maturità, simply send the average of your grades. And depending on how you performed, that might help you or simply make it worse. It's still better than nothing...

Also consider taking a gap year, you might get say more than 90% at Esame di Maturità and apply for Edin and get an offer next year...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.16%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.46%
No, I am unable to (163)
23.76%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.13%