PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm currently an applicant but was wondering about the differences in AHEMS and clinical EMS at the different vet schools?

As I understand it AHEMS is 12 weeks:
-2 dairy
-2 lambing
-2 equine
-2 pig
-4 other

Then 26 weeks of clinical over the final 3 years.

What I'm wondering is if the different schools have specific requirements, for example, on the 'other' section of AHEMS and how the clinical EMS is split (whether it has to be so much farm/equine/ SA etc).

Particularly interested in replies from current Bristol or RVC students. Thanks
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
For Liverpool:
12 weeks of Animal Husbandry experience - PCEMS within the first two years ideally - but you can also do a few weeks CEMS within the first two years but these must be within first opinion practice (do not know if any other universities do this)

Of the PCEMS
compulsory is:
1 week lambing
1 week dairy cattle
1 week equine
1 week pigs
1 week dogs and/or cats
1 week poultry

You can do no more than 4 weeks of each species but it is up to you how you reach the 12 week target.

As for clinical EMS - 6 weeks of summer research project can be counted towards the 24 weeks CEMS but on top of the 24 weeks a further 2 weeks of public health placement must be carried out.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PinkTabbyKitten)
Hi guys,

I'm currently an applicant but was wondering about the differences in AHEMS and clinical EMS at the different vet schools?

As I understand it AHEMS is 12 weeks:
-2 dairy
-2 lambing
-2 equine
-2 pig
-4 other

Then 26 weeks of clinical over the final 3 years.

What I'm wondering is if the different schools have specific requirements, for example, on the 'other' section of AHEMS and how the clinical EMS is split (whether it has to be so much farm/equine/ SA etc).

Particularly interested in replies from current Bristol or RVC students. Thanks
For Edinburgh:

Cattle 2 weeks including at least 1 week non-robotic dairy
Sheep 2 weeks including at least 1 week lambing
Equine 2 weeks
Poultry 1 week
Pigs 1 week
Cats and dogs 1 week
Domestic small animals 1 week
Free choice 2 weeks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (117)
34.31%
Yes - a trusted person (92)
26.98%
No (90)
26.39%
I'm not sure (42)
12.32%

Watched Threads