The Student Room Group

is it hard to do a fourth A level?

i am wondering how much harder is it to do four A levels compared to doing three? i am also wondering if it is likely to have a mentally negative impact etc...

thanks
David
Yes. Unless you actually need it for the entry requirements just do 3. People think they are hard by doing 4 then realise it's better to get 3 good grades than 4 mediocre ones
Original post by Motorcate
i am wondering how much harder is it to do four A levels compared to doing three? i am also wondering if it is likely to have a mentally negative impact etc...

thanks
David

I enjoyed all 4 of my A Levels and got 4A*s and it didn't negatively affect me mentally
It depends on each person. How organised they are etc..
Reply 3
depends how good you are at exams, and which four they are. i was doing the same amount of work as people doing 3 alevels but i had to really tailor my revision so i was literally just doing papers and memorising mark schemes. and i probably had the same amount of free time as people doing 3 (apart from during school hours physically having more lessons)

yes its difficult, but it feels great at the end when you manage to do it- I definitely dont regret taking four

plus you can always drop one at the end of year 12 if you want to
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Motorcate

Four are usually only a good idea if one is Further Maths. Otherwise, there's little point - almost all offers will be on your best three, so it's a risk to take a fourth.
It's hard if it's a subject that isn't similair with your other 3 subjects for example taking three science Alevel's and then taking French
I did 4 a-levels but then dropped the 4th bc it was way too hard to cope with the homework when my main interest and priority was science. It was my mistake as I didn't do enough research to see exactly what the course entailed and the topics - I didn't enjoy the topics. If I chose Further Maths as my 4th I would have been better off as it is something that I enjoy very much and knew what the course entailed but I thought doing a subject different to the others would be nice - it wasn't.
Make sure you do plenty of research and that you will enjoy the whole course as well as the topics. If you do that it will not be hard to do 4 a-levels
Also, if you live far away from your school and have a lot of commitments that you can't give up then maybe doing 3 is more ideal
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm currently doing four A levels: maths, physics, Biology, and further maths. Doing four A levels would be a great decision that will really help you at university only if meet two conditions.

First, you know that this would not have a negative impact on the remaining 3 A levels, therefore you must know that you are capable.
Secondly, the A levels should be relevant to your degree. So, don't study history when you're going for engineering.

Bear in mind that subjects like further maths can give you a great advantage if you are applying to mathematical course eg engineering.
if you do 4 it should be further maths. it's short af and links to physics and maths.
There’s no need to do 4 when universities require only 3. Why do you want unnecessary stress?
Reply 9
What's the point? Unless you're gonna get 3 A*s and a fourth is bonus, it'd go in your favour a lot more to just take 3 and get the best grades possible for those surely?

Quick Reply

Latest