The Student Room Group

HSBC Coding Test

Has anyone been invited to take a coding test for HSBC rather than the second stage job simulation? Just got the invite and am completely puzzled as the website mentions nothing about it! Applied for Data Science but falling under Global Banking and Markets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey same thing happened with me. I’m assuming you’ve taken your test by now. How did you find it? If you could share any further details such as types of questions and length of the assessment it’ll be very helpful!
Reply 2
Original post by BTV1112
Hey same thing happened with me. I’m assuming you’ve taken your test by now. How did you find it? If you could share any further details such as types of questions and length of the assessment it’ll be very helpful!

I've done it now. If you google there's some people from India who have done some HSBC coding tests but the questions I got were different and seemed very random which makes me think they draw from a bank. I had four questions with I think about 15 minutes each which is more than enough time. You can choose your language out of a long list of a few common ones- I did Python - and the questions are very basic maths like the sum of digits etc. If you search for "*your language* interview questions" you'll find a lot of examples.

I did give them feedback though saying that NOWHERE in the description did it say we need coding skills so having them tested I think is a bit unfair. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Fernweh47
I've done it now. If you google there's some people from India who have done some HSBC coding tests but the questions I got were different and seemed very random which makes me think they draw from a bank. I had four questions with I think about 15 minutes each which is more than enough time. You can choose your language out of a long list of a few common ones- I did Python - and the questions are very basic maths like the sum of digits etc. If you search for "*your language* interview questions" you'll find a lot of examples.

I did give them feedback though saying that NOWHERE in the description did it say we need coding skills so having them tested I think is a bit unfair. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I also read in the description that the test requires webcam access - are you given any motivational questions that you have to answer in a video interview style, like why do you want to work there, etc?
Reply 4
Original post by BTV1112
Thank you so much! I also read in the description that the test requires webcam access - are you given any motivational questions that you have to answer in a video interview style, like why do you want to work there, etc?

None at all. Just the code.
Reply 5
i applied for the data science grad program about 3 weeks ago. In the email it said ACs would be held from January onwards but I have not received anything. Has anyone heard back after doing the coding test?
Reply 6
Original post by gman999
i applied for the data science grad program about 3 weeks ago. In the email it said ACs would be held from January onwards but I have not received anything. Has anyone heard back after doing the coding test?

I personally haven't heard anything but applications close 1 March so I think they'll be waiting on a few more applications to see the calibre of our coding tests and then they'll decide who to invite - as I suppose it's the first time they're organising this?
Reply 7
(Original post by Fernweh47)I personally haven't heard anything but applications close 1 March so I think they'll be waiting on a few more applications to see the calibre of our coding tests and then they'll decide who to invite - as I suppose it's the first time they're organising this?

This will be the first ever AC for this program? Did it only start this year?
Hello everyone!

I also completed the coding tests and I did pretty well for all of them. Still haven't heard anything from them yet
What background do you guys have?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by NoNameQuant
Hello everyone!

I also completed the coding tests and I did pretty well for all of them. Still haven't heard anything from them yet

Do you know when the first AC for Data Science will be held? They said the first AC would be in January but I guess that's not happening anymore.
Hi there,Is SQL a language that I can choose from? Thank you so much!
Original post by Fernweh47

Hello everyone!

Hey good to hear you guys completed the coding challenge. Do you know if there were Data Structures and Algorithms type questions on there or pretty much just basic coding and maths? Not too sure what to review on before taking it on. Would appreciate any insight!
Reply 12
Hey Guys, Any updates on the assessment center? Still waiting to hear from them.
Original post by cavidas
Hey Guys, Any updates on the assessment center? Still waiting to hear from them.

Still waiting as well...they did say ACs would january onwards
Reply 14
Still waiting too
Original post by gman999
Still waiting as well...they did say ACs would january onwards

Same here, haven't heard anything from them yet.
In case any lurker is reading this, there were no DSA questions on this, purely coding. First two given 15 minutes each and are not that hard, last one is given 30 min and I suppose harder than the last two. Practice some leetcodes easy and you should be fine.

For everyone else were you explicitly told if you passed the coding round or simply haven't heard back since completing it?
I know for sure I've passed the coding test but i havent received anything yet except for "we are reviewing" thing like 3 times... Anyone got anything back?
I know for sure I've passed the coding test but i havent received anything yet except for "we are reviewing" thing like 3 times... Anyone got anything back?

I only got the same "We are reviewing" emails for multiple times too. But they haven't told me whether I've passed the coding test or not. Can I ask how did you know you've passed the test?
When you finish writing your code you can test it against the test cases they give and see if you pass or fail. I am pretty sure I've done it correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending