How do I go about preparing a research proposal investigating the FTO gene? Watch

Chezmunt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This isn't a chemistry question but it was the closest option I could find relating to science. I am an undergraduate student in my final year. We have been given the following assignment:

You may choose a gene/disease/funding organisation of your choice for your research proposal. For example, you might wish to make an application to the Medical Research Council (MRC) to investigate the effects of C9ORF72 mutations in ALS.

This assignment tests the following learning outcomes:

Demonstrate a systematic understanding of biological processes and bioethical principles in relation to Medical Genetics and disease mechanisms.

2. Critically evaluate complex genetic concepts justifying links to multifactorial diseases .

3. Produce a coherent argument based on a critical analysis of complex scientific information that is appropriately sourced from the literature.

4. Select data and/or information to formulate new ideas/hypotheses within an established biological context.

Changemaker & Employability Skills

5. Plan, produce and communicate a research project utilising good time management and problem solving skills.

6. Convey complex information effectively using language that is appropriate to Medical Genetics.

I have decided to investigate the FTO gene and my hypothesis is "higher levels of expression of this gene may predispose an individual to obesity". Now the problem is that I am not familiar with laboratory techniques. I purposely chose not have any lab based modules because I do not get on with lab work so I have no idea why they would do this for students who haven't had much lab practice. So I do not know how to go about assessing this gene. I don't know how to assess its function, its disease causing mechanism or what techniques are used to do this. I went to see the lecturer about it and he gave me some ideas but I still have no clue. This is what he gave me:

What is known and what is not known?

What is the normal function of the gene?

Establish its role in disease?

Establish disease causing mechanisms?

Function?

Gene-knock outs?

Affect energy intake?

What, how and why?

How much is known about role of FTO in obesity?

Other genes?

Epigenetics?

Protein structure?

How the gene is regulated?

Does the mutation produce RNA/protein?

Mimic mutation in animal model?

Leptin.

Other genes?

Can someone please give me an idea on some methods you would use to determine the various aspects above? I have tried to look for research proposals on this subject and can't find anything. I have no idea how I would test these things, how it is written out, and what level of detail I should provide of the methods. Are there any papers you can suggest that I read so that I may adopt their techniques? I really have no clue with this one, Please help!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chezmunt)
This isn't a chemistry question but it was the closest option I could find relating to science. I am an undergraduate student in my final year. We have been given the following assignment:

You may choose a gene/disease/funding organisation of your choice for your research proposal. For example, you might wish to make an application to the Medical Research Council (MRC) to investigate the effects of C9ORF72 mutations in ALS.
Hi, I don't think it's a chemistry question either so I've moved it to the (corrected) Biology, biochemistry and other life sciences university courses forum

Last edited by Doonesbury; 1 month ago
Chezmunt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Hi, I don't think it's a chemistry question either so I've moved it to the (corrected) Biology, biochemistry and other life sciences university courses forum

Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
12.97%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.72%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.74%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.24%
No (286)
71.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed