The Student Room Group

Worries about weight

Hi, I’m currently a 9 stone 5’6 female. I used to be 8 stone as a set point. However, it’s suddenly gone up to 9 stone, I know that’s not particularly unhealthy but it’s just not my norm. I run maybe 20k+ a week, but I do have a lot of fat around my abdomen and legs.

I want to go to HIIT classes etc at the gym but I’m so weak I can’t even do one press up so I feel really embarrassed going, and embarrassed going to use weights by myself so I don’t really know where to start.

Does anyone know why my weight may have gone up so much? Or have any advice to lose a stone if already a healthy weight? My diet id consider to be quite good but obviously I’m doing something wrong. Some advice about getting fit from already being weak and shy at the gym would be great too.
Reply 1
Hiit sessions don't necessarily have to include press ups/ push ups. Hiit can be done with just about any exercise even running. To introduce Hiit into your running every so often run flat out the maximum speed you can go for about 30seconds then resume normal pace for a whilst rinse and repeat.
You say you run 20k+ a week over how many running sessions is that and is it all done on the treadmill or actually cross country /road running ?
Gaining fat is most likely the result of eating too much or perhaps eating too much refined sugars or white breads/pasta/rice etc. If this is the case either try to eat slightly less or switch to wholegrain alternatives. It is also the likely outcome of your weight gain too although that could be down to medical issues like time of the month etc.
Lastly if you absolutely want to be able to do pushups then you need to strengthen your arms, back and chest - a good starting point would be to get into a plank position and hold it for as long as you can rinse and repeat several times. Or/and do weight lifting movements like just research the form for different exercises like bi-cep curls and do those without any weights - do them slowly and get your breathing patterns right you should feel your arms resisting the movements. Gradually as the movements get easier use weights - start off light with tins of food from the cupboard as an example, before moving onto actual weights.
Original post by JaseyB
Hiit sessions don't necessarily have to include press ups/ push ups. Hiit can be done with just about any exercise even running. To introduce Hiit into your running every so often run flat out the maximum speed you can go for about 30seconds then resume normal pace for a whilst rinse and repeat.
You say you run 20k+ a week over how many running sessions is that and is it all done on the treadmill or actually cross country /road running ?
Gaining fat is most likely the result of eating too much or perhaps eating too much refined sugars or white breads/pasta/rice etc. If this is the case either try to eat slightly less or switch to wholegrain alternatives. It is also the likely outcome of your weight gain too although that could be down to medical issues like time of the month etc.
Lastly if you absolutely want to be able to do pushups then you need to strengthen your arms, back and chest - a good starting point would be to get into a plank position and hold it for as long as you can rinse and repeat several times. Or/and do weight lifting movements like just research the form for different exercises like bi-cep curls and do those without any weights - do them slowly and get your breathing patterns right you should feel your arms resisting the movements. Gradually as the movements get easier use weights - start off light with tins of food from the cupboard as an example, before moving onto actual weights.

The ones in the classes at the gym are quite strength heavy and I’m not really motivated enough and don’t have the space to do it at home.
Over about 3 sessions, sometimes I do 5 runs a week and each run is at least 5k and I try to do 12k or over every Sunday, though this was slowly increase as I’m marathon training. It’s a mixture of treadmill and outside, though on treadmill I put it on .5 incline as apparently this imitates the road better.

I definitely could cut out carbs like bread pasta and rice, does wholemeal make a noteable difference or is it better to cut out all together? Perhaps I could switch it to a pulse alternative would that be better?
I’m early 20s and I’m worrying my metabolism has just slowed down a lot.

I definitely could plank more. Thanks for the tips RE bicep curls that’s a very good idea
Try a Keto diet. Cut out carbs in favour of meat and vegetables
Original post by Antibiotics
The ones in the classes at the gym are quite strength heavy and I’m not really motivated enough and don’t have the space to do it at home.
Over about 3 sessions, sometimes I do 5 runs a week and each run is at least 5k and I try to do 12k or over every Sunday, though this was slowly increase as I’m marathon training. It’s a mixture of treadmill and outside, though on treadmill I put it on .5 incline as apparently this imitates the road better.

I definitely could cut out carbs like bread pasta and rice, does wholemeal make a noteable difference or is it better to cut out all together? Perhaps I could switch it to a pulse alternative would that be better?
I’m early 20s and I’m worrying my metabolism has just slowed down a lot.

I definitely could plank more. Thanks for the tips RE bicep curls that’s a very good idea

Wholemeal can help!

It s a big jump in weight for someone that exercises a fair bit. Maybe if you are really worried go to your GP - check for hypothyroidism
Original post by Ahmad*
Wholemeal can help!

It s a big jump in weight for someone that exercises a fair bit. Maybe if you are really worried go to your GP - check for hypothyroidism

Do they test this via simple blood test? Would make sense, I sit with a hot water bottle freezing every day at work!
Do they test this via simple blood test? Would make sense, I sit with a hot water bottle freezing every day at work!

Yeah you just test for a hormone called TSH. Do go check it out! Also feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
Original post by Ahmad*
Yeah you just test for a hormone called TSH. Do go check it out! Also feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Decided I probably don’t have it and need to stop making excuses for getting large haha. I definitely could do with cutting out carbs. Would it be mad to go on a keto diet and marathon train?

I think I could manage a calorie deficit of 500 a day (my BMR is rubbish at 1300 and I have a desk job), really failing to see how people do deficits of 1000!
Decided I probably don’t have it and need to stop making excuses for getting large haha. I definitely could do with cutting out carbs. Would it be mad to go on a keto diet and marathon train?

I think I could manage a calorie deficit of 500 a day (my BMR is rubbish at 1300 and I have a desk job), really failing to see how people do deficits of 1000!

I am hesitant to advise anything per se, I am not a dietician, but I absolutely have heard good things about ketogenic diets. They seem to be good for all sorts of things including your ability to focus, so definitely give it a go if you think it will help. I would say though if you find yourself struggling mentally don't over-exhaust yourself.

Out of curiosity on what basis did you decide you were not hypothyroid?

Quick Reply

Latest