Unfairly Cancelled Car Insurance

Watch
16Silverhill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good Evening!

A year or so ago I had a car insurance policy cancelled because under the ‘claims’ section I had not declared an incident on which my car was damaged whilst parked outside of my house by an uninsured driver. I didn’t claim for any of the damage and the insurance only know about this issue because it was reported to the police. As I didn’t claim any money I didn’t realise I had to declare this. I have since managed to find an insurer who is happy to insure me even with this issue. Unfortunately when shopping around for new policies I find several insurers who won’t insure me because I have a ‘cancelled policy’. Is there anyone I can talk to about helping me getting this stain (legally!) removed from my record? I’m getting really upset about the whole thing and feel like I have been treated unfairly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This isn't unfair. Your insurers are supposed to find out from you - not the police. You're not forced to claim if you tell them, they just need to know. Only they can get it removed.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 16Silverhill)
Good Evening!

A year or so ago I had a car insurance policy cancelled because under the ‘claims’ section I had not declared an incident on which my car was damaged whilst parked outside of my house by an uninsured driver. I didn’t claim for any of the damage and the insurance only know about this issue because it was reported to the police. As I didn’t claim any money I didn’t realise I had to declare this. I have since managed to find an insurer who is happy to insure me even with this issue. Unfortunately when shopping around for new policies I find several insurers who won’t insure me because I have a ‘cancelled policy’. Is there anyone I can talk to about helping me getting this stain (legally!) removed from my record? I’m getting really upset about the whole thing and feel like I have been treated unfairly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Not unfair at all; you failed to disclose a pretty important fact to your insurer.

Read your Terms and Conditions next time.

Sorry!
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good Evening!

Thanks in advance.
I have moved this to Cars & Motoring.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good Evening!

Thanks in advance.
There's nothing unfair about this.

It's standard practice to inform the insurer and is also in your terms.
Merry Xmas 2k18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
There's nothing unfair about this.

It's standard practice to inform the insurer and is also in your terms.
it's a little unfair come on
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Merry Xmas 2k18)
it's a little unfair come on
Unfortunately, what you perceive as fair/unfair is neither here nor there
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
RoyalSheepy dupe of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5733120
Damian666
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have had my car insurance cancled 1 month before my full year was over because when I changed my addresss the guy on the phone didn't change it!
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Damian666)
I have had my car insurance cancled 1 month before my full year was over because when I changed my addresss the guy on the phone didn't change it!
In that case make a formal complaint and advise them of the time + date of the call you made. They record calls for a reason.
alex282
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's your own fault that someone else damaged your car whilst parked outside and completely fair that the insurance company can now charge you double or around £300 extra per year for the rest of your life now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads