Why are some religions so serious about no sex before marriage?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How is marital sex different than having sex without a paper saying you're married?
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's old fashioned an outdated. In this modern age there is no place for religion whatsoever. There simply is no evidence for any of it.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not religious, but I see where the idea of ''no sex before marriage'' comes from. At least my interpretation of it.

Either way, I don't see a problem with sex before marriage. Hell, I've already crossed that line
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many fundamentalist/ traditionalist interpretations of religion opt for the ancient "thou shalt not" rules thousands of years old, aspiring towards the mass compliance existent during the medieval era where the influence of enforced religion upon society was at its peak- religious theology supported by threats of violent punishment or eternal damnation by religious enforcers.

Sometimes the no sex before marriage attitude is intended to promote social stability, traditional values and a sense of personal responsibility.
My mother was brought up to believe in sexual abstinence until marriage and still does.
Fans of the abstinence movement often also have issues with divorce, single parents and birth control.
Ben878
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From a religious perspective, marriage is not simply a piece of paper saying you are married. Marriage is seen as a serious bond, and so is sex, and becuase of this there is emphasis that you should have physical (bodily) integrity - Love should lead onto sex, not lust lead onto sex. Also, it's often believed sex should be reserved for purely for procreational purposes.

However, like said in above post, it's likely to have evovled for the benefit of simpler society whereby making people less likely (frowned upon) to go around having children outside of marriage. To ensure the children had high survival rate it would have been very important for parents to be dedicated - IE married ones.
Last edited by Ben878; 1 year ago
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's a schoolof thought that the no sex outside of marriage rules were introduced as a way to give religious leaders power that they wouldn't have had otherwise. By making people feel guilty about a commonly practised natural human behaviour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (216)
60.85%
No (75)
21.13%
Not sure (64)
18.03%

Watched Threads