42.31%
NOOOOOO!! we should remain (45)
57.69%
RH.millions
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The UK is in great turmoil, with the UK expecting to leave the EU by March. The country wants a second referendum, which I think is needed. But what do you guys think? Is Brexit the way forward or should we remain in the EU?
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People couldn't care less. That is, people that don't mindlessly consume mainstream media. Only the globalist establishment fear Brexit
Gmart
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are a lot of jobs attached to staying in the EU. As part of that large block, indeed as one of the three largest countries we pack quite a punch considering we are such a small country by land area. Our relatively large GDP is down to being open to trade over the years and the EU represents a large part of that income.

In brief it is down to faith - do you believe that the UK would be better outside the flawed cooperative that is the EU - if so get out quickly. If you reckon this is a power grab by those who wish to sell the UK worker to the highest bidder and who don't consider the collective bargaining to be very important. Indeed they might consider the EU as an inconvenient check on their freedom. Add to this the tax haven issue and one could easily see a conspiracy...
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)
People couldn't care less. That is, people that don't mindlessly consume mainstream media. Only the globalist establishment fear Brexit
I think people do care. And they should care, because after all, it is the global establishment that employ us and who supply all the goods and services that make our lives slightly less mundane.

I have never understood why people see themselves as separate from the global establishment. We are 100% dependent on them. If they go down, we go down - except they have a network of mansions, villas and luxury yachts. Where as most people just have a jam jar full of £2 coins that could become worthless.

If the world crashes, the one set of people who will be ok about it are the global establishment. You are looking at it completely the wrong way round.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by help-im-failing)
The UK is in great turmoil, with the UK expecting to leave the EU by March. The country wants a second referendum, which I think is needed. But what do you guys think? Is Brexit the way forward or should we remain in the EU?
BREXIT is the way forward and the only way forward.
Logically thinking about it 51% of the nation voted leave so we leave. The Mps in Parliment should be representing what the people think in their constituencies so they should vote for this deal, and if they are voting against the deal aren't they putting self intrest in front of the people's interests?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
Logically thinking about it 51% of the nation voted leave so we leave. The Mps in Parliment should be representing what the people think in their constituencies so they should vote for this deal, and if they are voting against the deal aren't they putting self intrest in front of the people's interests?
So if MPs should be representing what the people think, does that mean that the 48% should be ignored? What if you were one of the 48%? And what about all the people who didn't vote or were prevented from voting e.g. the young and expats? 30 million people voted and just over half voted leave. But we have a population of around 66 million so only around 23% of the population actually voted to leave the EU.

So just exactly how is forcing the views of 23% of the population on the rest democratic? And we live in a parliamentary democracy which solves this conundrum by employing MPs to debate and find ways though and dare I say it - compromise, even if it doesn't satisfy all. It works very well.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
So if MPs should be representing what the people think, does that mean that the 48% should be ignored? What if you were one of the 48%? And what about all the people who didn't vote or were prevented from voting e.g. the young and expats? 30 million people voted and just over half voted leave. But we have a population of around 66 million so only around 23% of the population actually voted to leave the EU.

So just exactly how is forcing the views of 23% of the population on the rest democratic? And we live in a parliamentary democracy which solves this conundrum by employing MPs to debate and find ways though and dare I say it - compromise, even if it doesn't satisfy all. It works very well.
Forcing the view of 51% of the population is democratic, also we live in a country where majority rules.
And 51% not 23% of the nation voted to leave.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We live in a country where majority rules.
We actually don't. Not by a country mile. Most elections are swung by a handful of people nationally. And our government is held to account by a parliamentary democracy. MPs do not represent the views of their voters, they represent the views of their party and you and I elect an individual by party.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The people have spoken.
Malvinas Pirates
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The people spoke and we should all respect that vote.
Brexit means Exit!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
The people have spoken.
28% of the people have spoken. Hardly a resounding mandate.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is out of date by 2 and a half years.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
28% of the people have spoken. Hardly a resounding mandate.
Well the others either weren’t eligible to vote or didn’t vote either way I don’t care and neither should anyone else.

With your stupid way of thinking every vote in history is invalid.
Last edited by paul514; 1 year ago
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A second referendum is very much needed. Then we could negotiate from a remain stance first.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paul514)
Well the others either weren’t eligible to vote or didn’t vote either way I don’t care and neither should anyone else.

With your stupid way of thinking every vote in history is invalid.
Yep... rules and regulations are regularly chopped and changed at least every 5yrs or we would still have a thriving slave trade. Overriding an earlier vote with one which better reflects revised circumstances is common practice in democracy.

We know you don't care, not about democracy, not about the will of the people, not even about the good of the nation. All Brexiteers care about is getting their own way and threatening to throw a tantrum if they don't get it. Time to strap the screaming toddler in the back where she belongs and let the grown-ups drive.
Last edited by Vinny C; 1 year ago
TheGraduateMedic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But did they want this kind of leave? Did they really understand what they’re voting for?

i personally think if we did a second referendum on leave or remain that remain would win and it’d be a nightmare. Unfortunately, the deal david Cameron secured should we remain wasn’t circulated very well and was actually quite good. I doubt the EU would be quite so willing to give it. So yes, I see your point it’s undemocratic and actually quite problematic to have another leave/remain one. Therefore my opinion we should do a second referendum, but on which deal we take. No deal or whatever rubbish deal is secured for us.
RH.millions
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by paul514)
This is out of date by 2 and a half years.

okay but people are still debating about it, so what's your point?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Antibiotics)
But did they want this kind of leave? Did they really understand what they’re voting for?

i personally think if we did a second referendum on leave or remain that remain would win and it’d be a nightmare. Unfortunately, the deal david Cameron secured should we remain wasn’t circulated very well and was actually quite good. I doubt the EU would be quite so willing to give it. So yes, I see your point it’s undemocratic and actually quite problematic to have another leave/remain one. Therefore my opinion we should do a second referendum, but on which deal we take. No deal or whatever rubbish deal is secured for us.
If we approached the EU with look... we want a second referendum but need some damn good reasons to even suggest one... then the EU would grant the uncirculated Cameron concessions and more. 46 billion saved and no magic bus required, just better strategy!
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
28% of the electorate btw. Brexiteers talked complete *******s 2½ yrs ago and still do. All you care about is getting your own way and threatening to throw a tantrum if you don't get it. Time to strap the screaming toddler in the back where she belongs and let the grown-ups drive.
Last edited by Vinny C; 1 year ago
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shhhh… you're not allowed to say the UK is in turmoil or 20 people shout Project Fear at you and evict you from the pub.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (17)
24.64%
My career doesn't need one (7)
10.14%
I'm sick of studying (13)
18.84%
I can't find a course I want to do (2)
2.9%
I don't know enough about them (8)
11.59%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (22)
31.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise