lamphun
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, my daughter is about to enter year 10 for her GCSEs.
One of her subjects is music.
Already at 13, she is Grade 8 and achieved goodness knows how many trophies.
Is it possible for her to take her GCSE early, rather than wait the 2 years.
Thank you for any advice and comments.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
its quite common to take some GCSE exams in year 10 if the students are ready. my school had those in lower sets do exams in year 10 to be more prepared. I did one of my science GCSE in year 10 to get it out the way. So yeah you can but you would have to speak with the school to enter for the exam, theres a deadline for exam entries so speak to them as soon as possible! if they dont agree then you can always enter as a private candidate and take the exam outside of school.
lamphun
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for quick reply.
All noted and taken on board
Porridgefluff
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
She might be able to, but there is quite a bit to learn. I am only familiar with edexcel - which both my children took. The performance will be no problem for her, but it’s only worth 30%. there are 8 set works to learn for the written paper. This takes quite a bit of time (40%) - you have to know the pieces inside out to get good marks, plus you have to know about the composers etc. But only a few of them come up in the exam. Then the composition is worth 30%.
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lamphun)
Hi, my daughter is about to enter year 10 for her GCSEs.
One of her subjects is music.
Already at 13, she is Grade 8 and achieved goodness knows how many trophies.
Is it possible for her to take her GCSE early, rather than wait the 2 years.
Thank you for any advice and comments.
No, sorry definitely not.
Music is only 30% practical, the rest is set works that are needed to be learned inside out, there is 8 of these for Edexcel, it's definitely not possible to learn these in 1 year. Also, the cut of date for entries is beginning of February, so this is far too late to sort out! Sorry If Your daughter should achieve a good grade though!! I'm currently in year 11, with grade 8 on 3 instruments, the performance should be an easy full marks, if she works hard the composing should also be full marks, then she has to do the listening paper, trust me, you cannot 'wing' this, best to wait another year and get a grade 8 or 9.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads