The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What should I study at uni ?

Hello. I would like to study engineering at the university of Nottingham however I soon came to realise that I wasn’t too sure what area exactly that I wanted to study. Mechatronics really seemed to appeal to me as you get a feel for the programming, the mechanical, the electrical and robotics side of things. I have now realised that this isn’t taught at Nottingham and was looking for thoughts from others about me going into Electrical and electronic engineering and carefully choosing some different electives down the line. Any opinions???
Original post by Aye.remz
Hello. I would like to study engineering at the university of Nottingham however I soon came to realise that I wasn’t too sure what area exactly that I wanted to study. Mechatronics really seemed to appeal to me as you get a feel for the programming, the mechanical, the electrical and robotics side of things. I have now realised that this isn’t taught at Nottingham and was looking for thoughts from others about me going into Electrical and electronic engineering and carefully choosing some different electives down the line. Any opinions???

mechanical & electrical courses are hugly different. I think mechatronics courses are far similar to electrical engineering than mechanical (but i do mechanical so have no idea really).

Mechanical degrees focus on:
stress & dynamics
fluid mechanics
thermodynamics
design
you will additionally be taught other subjects like:
electrical (1 module over the degree max)
mathematics
control
instrumentation
specialty modules relating to interests such as: CFD, FEA, aero/auto industry related topics

Pick what you want im guessing if u choose UoN electrical is a better bet. I dont think mechatronics degrees really cover the stuff i listed above, maybe they do design & control engineering but idk. If you really wanna do mechatronic than maybe just go to another Uni, but i think mechatronic in realty lacks depth on any one particular area.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest