New College of Humanities? Is it legit? Watch

bellarobins
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m already a first year at a normal uni but recently i’ve been looking at alternatives closer by to my home.

I came across the New College of Humanities and i’m confused at what to take it as as in all my years of uni hunting i had never heard of it until now.

I’ve read that to start with it had double usual fees but it’s got the same fees as other unis i guess it’s not as exclusive but what’s the deal here?

All the testimonials seem good but would employers frown upon it as a fad and discredit your degree? Is it just for international students and rich kids?

I know it’s still in it’s early days but how does it compare to other unis and their reputation and prospects post graduation?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anabelrobson)
I’m already a first year at a normal uni but recently i’ve been looking at alternatives closer by to my home.

I came across the New College of Humanities and i’m confused at what to take it as as in all my years of uni hunting i had never heard of it until now.

I’ve read that to start with it had double usual fees but it’s got the same fees as other unis i guess it’s not as exclusive but what’s the deal here?

All the testimonials seem good but would employers frown upon it as a fad and discredit your degree? Is it just for international students and rich kids?

I know it’s still in it’s early days but how does it compare to other unis and their reputation and prospects post graduation?
Maybe not elite as its still new, but considering the teaching and early signs its highly rated. have you been to the open days?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is just for rich kids, yes. They have the Oxbridge balls with that mush who runs it; all in waistcoats and talking about old times at Eton.

It has some positives. Regular tutorials like Oxbridge. Their named professors are really good, but do little teaching. The people taking your tutorials can be top or no-name lecturers who most recently taught at RHUL or Hull. You get a broader education than at the traditional uni; you also meet a lot of to-be social elites whose dads might get you a job at a top fund.

I wonder what J-SP would think of them, were their apps to come across her desk.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No different to any other university really - but then I am rarely (if at all) looking at university name.

For it to have university status, they can’t charge more than the capped amount by the government (for UK students anyway). Fees do not make a place elite or not.

From what I hear, the benefits are relatively small class/tutorial sizes. But not sure if I would trade that off for what isn’t a “fully functioning” university. You may get a bespoke education but you are doing so in a tiny community (only 200 undergraduates) and you won’t have all the student support services a normal university would.

Apart from their law degree, I query why their undergraduate degrees are validated by Southampton Solent - if they were doing as well as is reported I’m sure a better university would want to be associated with them.

Be mindful that the university is potentially being acquired by a US university. That’s likely to change how the university is run.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by J-SP; 1 month ago
henry1999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by J-SP)
No different to any other university really - but then I am rarely (if at all) looking at university name.

For it to have university status, they can’t charge more than the capped amount by the government (for UK students anyway). Fees do not make a place elite or not.

From what I hear, the benefits are relatively small class/tutorial sizes. But not sure if I would trade that off for what isn’t a “fully functioning” university. You may get a bespoke education but you are doing so in a tiny community (only 200 undergraduates) and you won’t have all the student support services a normal university would.

Apart from their law degree, I query why their undergraduate degrees are validated by Southampton Solent - if they were doing as well as is reported I’m sure a better university would want to be associated with them.

Be mindful that the university is potentially being acquired by a US university. That’s likely to change how the university is run.
NCH changed from UOLI degrees to Southhampton Solent because of the level of flexibility UOLI was not willing to give and Solent was willing to give. This meant the lecturers weren't able to teach courses that aligned with their areas of interest/speciality and had no control over the exams set. Whereas Solent is willing to be more leniant, allow them to have more influence over the structure of the course and the content of the examinations, its just slightly closer to being able to award degrees themselves.

Its important that people realise that the degree is still from NCH despite the degree being awarded by Solent, when you apply for jobs you still put New College of the Humanities, and although it is certificated by Solent on your certificate it still states New College of the Humanities as the institution. The closest equivalent I can draw is just because you have a Cambridge International A-Level doesn't have any bearing on the value of the A-Level despite it being awarded by Cambridge. Its just that the Cambridge International have the power to award the A-Level whereas schools, don't, it still doesn't have any bearing on your examination results. The same applies to NCH, the larger issue with not having degree awarding powers is associated with student loans, you can't borrow the full fees at the moment, which is why there are so many scholarships (to try and compensate for that).

All students who are currently in 1st Year and any after them will be awarded NCH degrees since they are thoroughly on track to recieve degree awarding powers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.5%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.43%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.21%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.21%
No (195)
69.64%

Watched Threads