iqrazhaq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys. I am in my last year of Secondary School and I applied to both Child Nursing and Midwifery courses. The reason I applied to both of these courses was because I want to do a Neonatal Nursing course which can only be done after completing a degree from either Midwifery, Child or Adult Nursing. I have been rejected from most of my applications, and the feedback given was that my Personal Statement should have been directed towards one course instead of aiming to fit both. The university I really want to get into is GCU for Bsc Child Nursing and thankful they have not rejected me YET. Do you think I still have a chance of getting in despite the fact that I have been rejected from GCU Bsc Child Nursing (Hons). Is there anything you recommend me doing to increase my chances of receiving an interview for this course. Please reply as I am very stressed and desperate to get into this course. No news is good news... right?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iqrazhaq)
Hey guys. I am in my last year of Secondary School and I applied to both Child Nursing and Midwifery courses. The reason I applied to both of these courses was because I want to do a Neonatal Nursing course which can only be done after completing a degree from either Midwifery, Child or Adult Nursing. I have been rejected from most of my applications, and the feedback given was that my Personal Statement should have been directed towards one course instead of aiming to fit both. The university I really want to get into is GCU for Bsc Child Nursing and thankful they have not rejected me YET. Do you think I still have a chance of getting in despite the fact that I have been rejected from GCU Bsc Child Nursing (Hons). Is there anything you recommend me doing to increase my chances of receiving an interview for this course. Please reply as I am very stressed and desperate to get into this course. No news is good news... right?
I m afraid there isn't much you can do as the courses are very competitive (unless you ask to submit a new statement but its likely they d say no at this point), you have to just apply for one and then make your statement fit that course. Not everyone gets into nursing on their first application so you should look at getting more experience and then applying to just one of those courses for next year.
Leahdominique
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If all else fails, why dont you try to apply for a foundation course where you do an extra year? Thats what im currently doing and it seems alright.
Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I applied for Midwifery but got rejected from all my universities and to be honest it was very disheartening. But my teachers were very supportive and one said "whatever happens, happens for a reason and these rejections will help you to become stronger"
And she was so right.
I then applied for Optometry (which is what i wanted to do in the first place but feared I wouldn't get through) and I got accepted for the foundation programme for Optometry!
I was so glad!
So please don't let your rejections get to you like my teachers said "keep working hard,everything can change on results day"

Hope this helps. My PM is open if you have any queries
lavender_rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iqrazhaq)
One of the biggest things I remember being mentioned by some of the midwifery lecturers is that they want to see that the applicant understands exactly what they are applying for in terms of the job role, and why they want to be a midwife/child nurse. I definitely wouldn't tell them that midwifery is just a means to an end and that you are really planning to become a neonatal nurse, you need to be able to show why you want to be a midwife/nurse at your interview. But I have heard, that when applicants apply to two different courses it can appear that they are almost undecided or that they just want to get on to either course and they don't really care which one. Good luck with it!
paub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you want to be a neonatal nurse try again just applying for childrens nursing. it would be over kill doing midwife training to then not use it. is unfair on both the student your taking a place from and the health service thats paid for your training. its an incredibly hard area of nursing neither m or my wife could do it.
M.mcewan671
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I'm currently a childrens nursing student in a different university, but all are the same regarding personal statements, heres a few tips from a person who's tried for 4 years to get into childrens nursing:
Make it your only choice, no point in doing adult nursing if you want to go into neonatal.
Get volunteering! Whether it be in a childrens hospice, get involved with any charity to do with babies or premature babies ( might be subject to age restriction)
If you dont get into it this year, take it as an opportunity to better yourself, get into tech (or college) and do a HNC or Foundation degree in health and social care.
Get a job as a band 2 ( if you can) and try to get into childrens wards.
Speak to as many childrens nurses as you can!! Trust me, they'll be more than happy to give you tips and pointers on what to say in interviews.
The more experience and exposure you'll get, the better your personal statement will be with all this life experience.
This will in turn help you at interview stage.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.32%
No (183)
32.68%

Watched Threads