The Student Room Group

Anyone know anything about UCSF or Pittsburgh?

Hey guys
Does anyone know anything about University of California San Francisco or University of Pittsburgh? I might be going there to study for a semester and want to know about it. I'm 22 so will there be people my age?? How's the party scene there at either of them because I do want to go out and have as much fun I can have for a semester??
Reply 1
I know a good amount about the University of Pittsburgh as a lot of my friends go there. It has a vibrant social scene with parties and fun organizations to join. There will be plenty of students your age. The city of Pittsburgh is really beautiful too! Let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 2
Original post by sliu412
I know a good amount about the University of Pittsburgh as a lot of my friends go there. It has a vibrant social scene with parties and fun organizations to join. There will be plenty of students your age. The city of Pittsburgh is really beautiful too! Let me know if you have any questions!

how is it like trying to make friends? Would it be hard and how would I make friends there??
Reply 3
Original post by bee264
how is it like trying to make friends? Would it be hard and how would I make friends there??

Original post by bee264

You'll most likely have a roommate, so that's one automatic friend. It's super easy to make friends in extracurricular activities. If you don't find a group at Pitt, Carnegie Mellon is right next door. Pitssburgh is full of college students. I'm assuming you are from the UK, so lots of students will be enticed by the accent.
Pittsburgh as a place had a lot of support for Donald Trump if I recall correctly. San Francisco weather will be warmer. As for the education, no idea.
Reply 5
Original post by sliu412
You'll most likely have a roommate, so that's one automatic friend. It's super easy to make friends in extracurricular activities. If you don't find a group at Pitt, Carnegie Mellon is right next door. Pitssburgh is full of college students. I'm assuming you are from the UK, so lots of students will be enticed by the accent.

I'm only going to be staying for a semester so hopefully I make friends quick but I guess Americans seem more friendly than Londoners. What would you say is different there compared to a uni in the UK?
Reply 6
Original post by DSutch
Pittsburgh as a place had a lot of support for Donald Trump if I recall correctly. San Francisco weather will be warmer. As for the education, no idea.

Yeah... I do wonder how diverse Pittsburgh is though I don't really want to stand out (I'm South Asian). San Francisco sounds nice and I guess it's a more well known place than Pittsburgh so would be quite nice living there since it's quite touristy as well but it's UCSF and that's a grad school so I feel like the social life would be different and harder since most people would be older and wouldn't really party since most of them are doing medicine, dentistry etc.
I'm not that bothered by the education I'm only going to do a research project.
Reply 7
Original post by bee264
I'm only going to be staying for a semester so hopefully I make friends quick but I guess Americans seem more friendly than Londoners. What would you say is different there compared to a uni in the UK?

Much bigger sports culture. A lot more homework, but less pressure with exams. The drinking age makes for some wild sorority/fraternity underage drinking parties
Reply 8
Original post by bee264
Yeah... I do wonder how diverse Pittsburgh is though I don't really want to stand out (I'm South Asian). San Francisco sounds nice and I guess it's a more well known place than Pittsburgh so would be quite nice living there since it's quite touristy as well but it's UCSF and that's a grad school so I feel like the social life would be different and harder since most people would be older and wouldn't really party since most of them are doing medicine, dentistry etc.
I'm not that bothered by the education I'm only going to do a research project.

I'm Asian too!! Both cities have a lot of Asian Americans.
Reply 9
Original post by sliu412
I'm Asian too!! Both cities have a lot of Asian Americans.

Aww cool! Because I'm going abroad to do a research project and not actually study, I'm just scared I won't make friends and I'm basically deciding on the uni based on the social life and the party scene :smile:
Original post by bee264
Aww cool! Because I'm going abroad to do a research project and not actually study, I'm just scared I won't make friends and I'm basically deciding on the uni based on the social life and the party scene :smile:

Definitely choose Pitt then!
Reply 11
Original post by sliu412
Definitely choose Pitt then!

Yeah that's where I'm stuck Pitt sounds so much better with the social life but San Francisco as a city sounds nice and al the touristy things to do there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending