The Student Room Group

Figure out this binomial maths question

In the binomial expansion of (2k+x) to the power of n, where k is a constant and n is a positive integer, the coefficient of x squared is equal to th3 coefficient of x cubed.
a) prove that n =6k+2
b) given also that k = 2/3 expand (2k+x) in ascending powers of x up to and including the term x cubed, giving each coefficient as an exact fraction in its simplest form.
Thanks
What part are you struggling with? Have you done any progress so far? I don't want to just do your maths hw.
Reply 2
It's not homework I was practising for my mock in January and I came across this question. I have done this chapter but I don't know what to do if there are 2 unknowns. Any help will be appreciated.(
Reply 3
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
What part are you struggling with? Have you done any progress so far? I don't want to just do your maths hw.

It's not homework I was practising for my mock in January and I came across this question. I have done this chapter but I don't know what to do if there are 2 unknowns. Any help will be appreciated.(
Original post by Shiverhawk

Ok so as the question states that the coefficient of x^2 is equal to the coefficient of x^3, we can make the coefficients equal to eachother. To get the expression for the coefficients use the binomial expansion formula (nCr * 2k^(n-r) * x^r )
Reply 5
Ok so as the question states that the coefficient of x^2 is equal to the coefficient of x^3, we can make the coefficients equal to eachother. To get the expression for the coefficients use the binomial expansion formula (nCr * 2k^(n-r) * x^r )

15461032699951966650689.jpg I don't know what to do next
15461032699951966650689.jpg I don't know what to do next

To be honest, im kind of lost also. I feel like I've overcomplicated something and im stuck. What I did is expand the n choose 3 into factorial form and simplify, but I can't get n in terms of k
Reply 7
To be honest, im kind of lost also. I feel like I've overcomplicated something and im stuck. What I did is expand the n choose 3 into factorial form and simplify, but I can't get n in terms of k

You can check the working out here by the solution bank but I have no clue what they did... https://activeteach-prod.resource.pearson-intl.com/r00/r0066/r006620/r00662099/current/alevelsb_p1_ex8mix.pdf
You can check the working out here by the solution bank but I have no clue what they did... https://activeteach-prod.resource.pearson-intl.com/r00/r0066/r006620/r00662099/current/alevelsb_p1_ex8mix.pdf

Which question is it

Ah yes I got the same thing that they, I just did a silly algebra mistake.

What part of the solution do you not understand?

Quick Reply

Latest