The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That was embarrassing to watch.

Either way, not a sport.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Nope, it's a practice rooted in sexism (whether it's the woman's choice to partake or not).
It was designed for creepy men like the one above to leer at, and absolutely objectifies the woman.
I'm not a feminist, this is just common sense.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by !ggypop
Nope, it's a practice rooted in sexism (whether it's the woman's choice to partake or not).
It was designed for creepy men like the one above to leer at, and absolutely objectifies the woman.
I'm not a feminist, this is just common sense.

so you want something less sexy ok how about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6uGIMXBB3o

and men can pole dance too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9gkt_GP4uw
It's glorified slutty dancing for men to **** over their TV at
No.
I think that there are sports that deserve to be in the olympics more than pole dancing (for example cheerleading)
And i dont think pole dancing fits the ethos for the olympics as it is deemed inappropriate by a lot of people and isn't universal
Original post by New- Emperor
for a few years now I have been thinking that Pole dancing should be put into the Olimpic games as an event.

(watch the video before you reply.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOW6xNffGvw

do you agree?

*dancing

*olympic

*no
Reply 7
I don't think any event that relies on subjective judging should be in the Olympics. When you see 'professional' judges giving wildly (like 20%) different scores to each other such as in diving, and winners are determined by less of a margin, it's a farce. Poledancing would be yet another of these events so it's a no from me.

I would concede that poledancing is much more worthy of being in the Olympics than horsedancing though.
Reply 8
Original post by ade22_
No.
I think that there are sports that deserve to be in the olympics more than pole dancing (for example cheerleading)
And i dont think pole dancing fits the ethos for the olympics as it is deemed inappropriate by a lot of people and isn't universal

Cheerleading? It's not even the main event whenever you see it!
Original post by ThomH97
Cheerleading? It's not even the main event whenever you see it!

There's diffferent forms of cheerleading. There's cheerleading to support teams and things but competitive cheerleading exists on its own and it quite big. Like they have the ICU (international cheer union) World Championships every year and its heavily attended
Original post by ade22_
There's diffferent forms of cheerleading. There's cheerleading to support teams and things but competitive cheerleading exists on its own and it quite big. Like they have the ICU (international cheer union) World Championships every year and its heavily attended

But what are they cheering?
Original post by ThomH97
But what are they cheering?

Nothing. They compete in it just as they would a gymnastics competition. I dont know too much about it but here's a link to a video. It's quite exciting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOYWmBcHwbs
Lapp dancing should also be given a trial at the next Olympics.

http://www.lappi.fi/n5files/?getImageN5=true&folderId=21794&name=DLFE-719.jpg
Original post by ade22_
Nothing. They compete in it just as they would a gymnastics competition. I dont know too much about it but here's a link to a video. It's quite exciting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOYWmBcHwbs

That's team gymnastics with less skill but more choreography because of the hordes of people involved. Probably not a great addition because of that. Also, it's yet another arbitrarily judged event which is just annoying. I want to see who wins the race or whatever, not see who some judges liked the most, I can watch that on X Factor and BGT.
Original post by the bear
Lapp dancing should also be given a trial at the next Olympics.

http://www.lappi.fi/n5files/?getImageN5=true&folderId=21794&name=DLFE-719.jpg

Don't fortget strip-teasing!
Original post by ThomH97
That's team gymnastics with less skill but more choreography because of the hordes of people involved. Probably not a great addition because of that. Also, it's yet another arbitrarily judged event which is just annoying. I want to see who wins the race or whatever, not see who some judges liked the most, I can watch that on X Factor and BGT.

I get what you mean. Sometimes i feel it's unfair to judge events like this because its up to intepretation, seeing a clear winner is sometimes nicer to see! Although its good to have the arbitrarily judged events because they showcase more creativity thna just sprinting or cycling
Original post by L'étranger123
Don't fortget strip-teasing!

don't forget :spank:

:rolleyes:
Original post by Miss Maddie
It's glorified slutty dancing for men to **** over their TV at

And what is wrong with that? You say it like it's a bad thing.
Original post by ade22_
I get what you mean. Sometimes i feel it's unfair to judge events like this because its up to intepretation, seeing a clear winner is sometimes nicer to see! Although its good to have the arbitrarily judged events because they showcase more creativity thna just sprinting or cycling

I don't know how exactly they could do it, but technology is getting better so we could score people real time sometime soon. I remember playing Tony Hawk and SSX Tricky where the tricks would get you set points etc so that would be cool to see racking up during a routine. It just really annoys me when one judge is giving 9.5/10 and another judge is giving 7/10 (which in percentage terms is massive) - how can they differ that much but be taken seriously? Then the podium positions are separated by less of a margin than the judging differences, too much depends on the judges than the athletes themselves. The athletes are doing great and I appreciate the skill and commitment they've put into it, but they're not being properly judged so until they can be, I don't like them being at the Olympics.
Original post by ThomH97
I don't know how exactly they could do it, but technology is getting better so we could score people real time sometime soon. I remember playing Tony Hawk and SSX Tricky where the tricks would get you set points etc so that would be cool to see racking up during a routine. It just really annoys me when one judge is giving 9.5/10 and another judge is giving 7/10 (which in percentage terms is massive) - how can they differ that much but be taken seriously? Then the podium positions are separated by less of a margin than the judging differences, too much depends on the judges than the athletes themselves. The athletes are doing great and I appreciate the skill and commitment they've put into it, but they're not being properly judged so until they can be, I don't like them being at the Olympics.

That sounds so exciting! Hopefully it can come into effect soon. Yes, i completely agree with what you're saying, it massively annoys me too! I look forward to the day when the athletes can be judged fairly and properly!

Latest