Black Box Insurance

Watch
Oli9050
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I recently passed my test first time (yay) and as an early Christmas present my mum added me to her insurance as a secondary driver, but with a black box... I'm not entirely against having it, I think it'd be good to get 'feedback' on my driving as I drive.

However, I installed it the other day and went on two typical journeys today and then looked at the app to see how I did. The box creates sort of like a debrief for each journey, judging several different categories, these being: Length of journey, road risk, time of day, smooth driving and comparative speed.

In my first journey, I got 71 points (I assume out of 100). My length of journey, time of day and comparative speed was a green score. My smooth driving was amber, and on the map there is a bit highlighted saying 'BRAKING', looking back this was at some lights and it turned red on me so I had to break a tad harshly or skip the lights... Not sure if this is fair but I guess the box can't know and I guess there isn't a way to fix that, oh well.

But the thing I dislike is my road risk... On both journeys it has been a red score. The road risk is basically how 'risky' the roads are, roads with a historically high crash rate have a high road risk. But how do I know which roads have a road risk? The app doesn't seem to tell me so on my second journey I went a different route to avoid what I thought was a high road risk area but my score just got worse in this aspect. Does anyone know of a map or something showing high road risk areas?
Malvinas Pirates
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Black Boxes are nasty informants, get out of this life of a Truman Show!

A black box never works in your favour.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oli9050)
So I recently passed my test first time (yay) and as an early Christmas present my mum added me to her insurance as a secondary driver, but with a black box... I'm not entirely against having it, I think it'd be good to get 'feedback' on my driving as I drive.

However, I installed it the other day and went on two typical journeys today and then looked at the app to see how I did. The box creates sort of like a debrief for each journey, judging several different categories, these being: Length of journey, road risk, time of day, smooth driving and comparative speed.

In my first journey, I got 71 points (I assume out of 100). My length of journey, time of day and comparative speed was a green score. My smooth driving was amber, and on the map there is a bit highlighted saying 'BRAKING', looking back this was at some lights and it turned red on me so I had to break a tad harshly or skip the lights... Not sure if this is fair but I guess the box can't know and I guess there isn't a way to fix that, oh well.

But the thing I dislike is my road risk... On both journeys it has been a red score. The road risk is basically how 'risky' the roads are, roads with a historically high crash rate have a high road risk. But how do I know which roads have a road risk? The app doesn't seem to tell me so on my second journey I went a different route to avoid what I thought was a high road risk area but my score just got worse in this aspect. Does anyone know of a map or something showing high road risk areas?
That's what you get for letting Big Brother watch you.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Avoid black boxes altogether if at all possible.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is about as much of a present as a mail bomb.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
... at some lights and it turned red on me so I had to break a tad harshly or skip the lights... Not sure if this is fair but I guess the box can't know and I guess there isn't a way to fix that, oh well.
If you are approaching lights at a constant speed you will always occasionally get caught out, (especial on 40mph roads). Eventually you’ll end up on a driver awareness course or with points.

Unless you’ve seen them just change to green, you need to lift off the gas a bit and then when you’re 4-6 car lengths away, accelerate when you know that you’re not stopping.
Oli9050
Rep:
?
Other than Admit-One, is anyone able to actually answer my question or give some useful information instead of repeating the obvious?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Other than Admit-One, is anyone able to actually answer my question or give some useful information instead of repeating the obvious?
No, there is not a map.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
No, there is not a map.
Incorrect, I've done my best to try emulate a map of the UK as to what Black Box companies would see as high risk...

Name:  high risk.PNG
Views: 76
Size:  418.3 KB
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xDron3)
Incorrect, I've done my best to try emulate a map of the UK as to what Black Box companies would see as high risk...

I chuckled IRL.
Arrius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure if it helps but there is this website https://dangerousroads.ageas.co.uk/. The website provides information about risk assessment for a specific area.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I chuckled IRL.
Just go outside then, Denmark's clearly safe.
Oli9050
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)

From my experience... seems 100% correct!

Tbh, what I've found is that I'll get really bad low score for short journeys, but very high scores for much longer journeys... Not sure if this is because I'm going out of my city (perhaps it's overly dangerous) or if it's just longer journeys give me the chance to make the score higher? Literally no clue how their algorithms work.

I sent the telematics helpline an email asking if they had a map of high risk areas, also asking why journeys with the exact same route have different scores for road risk. I got the reply that the map was unavailable because it's "classified as commercially sensitive". Then they spoke about how their algorithms are fair and a load of BS tbh.. then ended the email with "hope you have an amazing day"
Oli9050
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arrius)
Not sure if it helps but there is this website https://dangerousroads.ageas.co.uk/. The website provides information about risk assessment for a specific area.
Sadly my city is entirely unmapped here... thanks anyway, will help with longer journeys
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Tbh, what I've found is that I'll get really bad low score for short journeys, but very high scores for much longer journeys... Not sure if this is because I'm going out of my city (perhaps it's overly dangerous) or if it's just longer journeys give me the chance to make the score higher? Literally no clue how their algorithms work.

I sent the telematics helpline an email asking if they had a map of high risk areas, also asking why journeys with the exact same route have different scores for road risk. I got the reply that the map was unavailable because it's "classified as commercially sensitive". Then they spoke about how their algorithms are fair and a load of BS tbh.. then ended the email with "hope you have an amazing day"
Such is Big Brother.
Arrius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sadly my city is entirely unmapped here... thanks anyway, will help with longer journeys
Ah, sorry to hear that, I wish I could be of more help.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Short journeys are considered higher risk to many companies because lots of short journeys will more likely lead to a crash. Could be that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%