How do words appear on a page to everyone? Watch

EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I always wondered if we see and read in the same way. If you look at one word in the middle of a sentence, do you see the rest of the words as clearly as that word your looking at or do you see them blurry?

Do you read word by word or a couple of words at a time?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If it's something I really need to understand, such as an academic article, I think I read it more carefully.. but when I'm reading a novel I group sets of words together and read them all at once.
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
If it's something I really need to understand, such as an academic article, I think I read it more carefully.. but when I'm reading a novel I group sets of words together and read them all at once.
Thanks.

If you look at a word, can you see the next word without changing your focus?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i can see about ten words in a line clearly without shifting my gaze.
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
i can see about ten words in a line clearly without shifting my gaze.
Don't believe you
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by EyestriX)
Don't believe you
whevs

:spank:
EyestriX
Rep:
?
Any other genuine answers
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
whevs

:spank:
:eviltongue:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
:eviltongue:
:hahaha: :pee:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks.

If you look at a word, can you see the next word without changing your focus?
If I look at the word "can" in your post, I can a couple of words on either side.
EyestriX
Rep:
?
If I look at the word "can" in your post, I can a couple of words on either side.
Thanks!
sinewyDamion
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
for me, i am able to clearly see the words, but my mind isn't able to process it so i have to focus on each word to actually read/understan them lmao
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sinewyDamion)
for me, i am able to clearly see the words, but my mind isn't able to process it so i have to focus on each word to actually read/understan them lmao
I know what you mean. It's hard to say exactly what I see/think as it's really hard to analyse an automatic process!
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A few words appear clear, while those further to the side outside of my focus appear... I'd say out of focus enough to be mostly unintelligible, but not so out of focus that they're blurry if that makes sense.

As for how I read? Word by word I guess...
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm more of a tunnel-vision kinda guy and only see the words I'm currently reading. One of my talents is speed-reading out loud, which I'm likely good at because I can just read words off the page without thinking about what I'm reading where I don't naturally try and piece it all together.
inthedark1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I read one word at a time (dont see how you can do anything other) but skip very quickly so if im reading it might seem like i am acknowledging 2 words at once, but im not.

No words in a sentace appear blurry to me, if im focused on one word the others next to the word are just there but in the background
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
I'm more of a tunnel-vision kinda guy and only see the words I'm currently reading. One of my talents is speed-reading out loud, which I'm likely good at because I can just read words off the page without thinking about what I'm reading where I don't naturally try and piece it all together.
I often do that :rofl: then when it comes to answering the question I've just read, I am absolutely clueless.
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by inthedark1)
I read one word at a time (dont see how you can do anything other) but skip very quickly so if im reading it might seem like i am acknowledging 2 words at once, but im not.

No words in a sentace appear blurry to me, if im focused on one word the others next to the word are just there but in the background
Maybe you're guessing words rather than decoding them letter by letter because most words are in your sight vocabulary?
EyestriX
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
A few words appear clear, while those further to the side outside of my focus appear... I'd say out of focus enough to be mostly unintelligible, but not so out of focus that they're blurry if that makes sense.

As for how I read? Word by word I guess...
Yeah i get you. I'd say the same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads