ljackson862
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Warning: this is quite long😂

So I’m wanting to become a pilot when I’m older.. I’m only at gcse level but I’m picking A levels in a few weeks and I’ll be having a career interview soon too. For A level I’m wanting to study Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French and then drop Chemistry in upper 6th. Financially I can’t go to pilot school bc it’s too expensive so I was thinking of joining the RAF and do my pilot training that way but I still want to have a degree. I have no idea what I want to study at Uni if I go or where I’ll go but I do know that I want to learn french fluently when I’m older so possibly that and either maths or physics alongside. Am I able to join the RAF and study at uni at the same time or do I wait to I graduate before I train? Is there any point having a degree if I have to start straight into training? Are airline apprenticeships worth it?? My heads a bit up in space, all I know is I want to be a pilot but I’m not sure how I’ll get there😂Any advice welcome x
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ljackson862)
Warning: this is quite long😂

So I’m wanting to become a pilot when I’m older.. I’m only at gcse level but I’m picking A levels in a few weeks and I’ll be having a career interview soon too. For A level I’m wanting to study Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French and then drop Chemistry in upper 6th. Financially I can’t go to pilot school bc it’s too expensive so I was thinking of joining the RAF and do my pilot training that way but I still want to have a degree. I have no idea what I want to study at Uni if I go or where I’ll go but I do know that I want to learn french fluently when I’m older so possibly that and either maths or physics alongside. Am I able to join the RAF and study at uni at the same time or do I wait to I graduate before I train? Is there any point having a degree if I have to start straight into training? Are airline apprenticeships worth it?? My heads a bit up in space, all I know is I want to be a pilot but I’m not sure how I’ll get there😂Any advice welcome x
Some universities have cadet groups so if you pursued the degree route, you could look at joining one of those.

I completely agree that going to a training scheme would be very expensive, but your point about apprenticeships might be worth investigating. If you're unsure about studying for a degree, could you perhaps go for an apprenticeship, earn some money towards pilot training, and then you've got the option of either staying after an apprenticeship (or at least work experience if you can't stay on) or you can pursue the pilot route.

I'm an engineering apprentice and a number of my colleagues are using this as a chance to earn some money, gain some work experience and then once they've completed, they would like to go into the RAF.

Hope this gives you something to think about but if you want to discuss anything further I'd be more than happy to

Good luck in whatever you decide!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ljackson862)
The RAF info is all online. You should go to Uni and get a degree first in either case, pilots can only be pilots if they retain very strict medical standards, lose your medical categorisation and your career ends the same day, so it's always best to have a back up plan ready to go, rather than ending a career and then having to go to Uni. So get a degree in whatever subject supports your alternative career first.

The rest - look it up online, there is a whole forum on TSR about joining the RAF and there are many detailed threads about how to get into civil aviation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads